• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omni: strange behavior on CC7

Share/Bookmark

Omni: strange behavior on CC7

Hi,

I want to use Omni on stage and at the moment I prepare my keys setup for it. As I control all of my keyboards and expanders by a MIDITEMP MP88-W Midipatchbay I loaded some sounds into Omni which runs in Steinbergs V-Stack Host (together with some other VSTis). Everything works really fine so far.

Every Omni Sound has it`s own MIDI channel, so I can do the patching with the MP88-W. To be able to control the Volume of every Patch on the dedicated MIDI channel, I learned the volume faders to the MIDI CC7 instructions. Also this works fine.

The strange effect now is (I really don`t know, how I managed this???): when I send volume data on channel 2 (which is the first Patch in the multi) the corresponding fader moves as expected but also the MIDI channel (!!) of patch 4 changes synchronously - means when I move my volume pedal, I can see the channel changing from 1 to 16 and for values above 16 the field is empty. The patch doesn`t only show this channel it also reacts on it (I can suddenly hear the sound of patch 4 and when changing the channel again I get of course hanging notes).

Has anyone an idea what could have been my fault ?

Thanks a lot,

greetings, humphrey
    C5, Forte, Cantabile, Komplete 7, OP-X Pro-II, KORE2, EOS, Halion 3, HSO, FM7, B4, VB3, Sylenth1, virt. Guit., Minimoog V, Stylus RMX exp, Omnisphere, Vista Home Premium 64, Q6600, Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, 8GB RAM Mushkin, 4 Samsung Harddisks / 1,5 TByte, RME Hammerfall DSP with Multiface, Motu Midi Express 128, NI Kore 2, Motif ES7, Fantom XR, Wavestation SR, Plugiator, TC M-One XL, ADA8000

Re: Omni: strange behavior on CC7

Sounds like maybe you accidentally assigned midi channel 2 volume to both Omnisphere parts 2 and 4. Use "MIDI Learn Report" on the utility menu to see a summary of your current assignments. Not to worry though. Simply right click->unlearn on the part 4 volume slider that isn't working as desired, and redo the midi learn for that control to set it to the correct midi channel volume.

- Glenn

Hi Glenn,

thank you for the quick response and: no I don`t worry, in the worst case I simply redesign the whole setup as at the moment it is in experimental satus - so: no problem at all. It was only so strange that I decided to report it here.

But to clearify: I think there is a misunderstanding: I`m familiar with what you described and in this case it would not be a serious problem to reset it.

In my case it is not the volume fader that got the connection to CC7. I talk of the "multi" - page where you can find the 8 patches for a multi. In the left side of each slot you see a small field normally used to manually chose the MIDI channel of this slot. As a understood this is a parameter that can not be MIDI - learned (?). However, I find no way to open a learn (or unlearn) dialog, I alway get a table where I can chose one of the 16 MIDI channels (and to be serious: I didn`t expect anything else). But in this case I managed it somehow to exactly do that: I can change the MIDI channel of slot 4 with my volume-pedal - really strange. The control of the fader of slot 1 is a "wanted" effect. The MIDI - channel change effect lasts even if I unlearn the fader.

Meanwhile I unlearned all faders but the problem still exists (and believe me: I`m not kidding anybody). The same happens when I store the project in V-Stack and open it again.

But o.k., not really a prolem: I`ll recreate the whole setup and think this will do it (otherwise I give you a second response here).

Thanks, Volker
    C5, Forte, Cantabile, Komplete 7, OP-X Pro-II, KORE2, EOS, Halion 3, HSO, FM7, B4, VB3, Sylenth1, virt. Guit., Minimoog V, Stylus RMX exp, Omnisphere, Vista Home Premium 64, Q6600, Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, 8GB RAM Mushkin, 4 Samsung Harddisks / 1,5 TByte, RME Hammerfall DSP with Multiface, Motu Midi Express 128, NI Kore 2, Motif ES7, Fantom XR, Wavestation SR, Plugiator, TC M-One XL, ADA8000

Umm... Glenn, I think the OP is saying that the channel assignment itself (which isn't even MIDI-learnable) was reacting to the CC - not the volume slider. I've had such a weird experience too once - in my case it was the stack mode buttons (also not MIDI-learnable!) reacting to a CC.

I'd suggest to right-click > "MIDI Learn" > "Unlearn All" and start over. HTH

werner

(guess I need to learn to type faster...)

Hi dreamkeeper,

you got it and your hint solved it. I had a look on the MIDI learn report and add a copy to this posting - I think the last item stands for my problem...

Thanks for your help,

greetings, humphrey

<<<

MIDI Learn Assignments

Parameter LivePart1Program Change 0Channel=1ToggledParameter LivePart2Program Change 1Channel=1ToggledParameter LivePart3Program Change 2Channel=1ToggledParameter LivePart4Program Change 3Channel=1ToggledParameter 1LevelCC 7Channel=2Parameter 2LevelCC 7Channel=3Parameter 3LevelCC 7Channel=4Parameter 4LevelCC 7Channel=5Parameter 4LevelHost Automation ID: 3Parameter 5LevelHost Automation ID: 4Parameter 6LevelHost Automation ID: 5Parameter 7LevelHost Automation ID: 6Parameter 8LevelHost Automation ID: 7Parameter 4MIDI ChannelCC 7Channel=2
    >>>

Yes, midi learn report is your friend :-). There's lots of useful information there...not only for midi learn but for parameter automation as well.

- Glenn

Go Back to forum