• Register
  • Help

Topic: In The Wind...

Share/Bookmark

In The Wind...

This is a tune I wrote over the holidays. It's not totally complete, but I don't think I'll have time to finish it anytime soon. This includes the mixing - I did it on LAPTOP SPEAKERS (disgusting technique I know), then tried my best to modify it when I was able to get my hands on decent speakers.

The start and end are the exactly the same, but my plan would be to modify the ending and give it a large orchestral finale similar to the climax in the middle. The meat of the piece starts about 1/3 way through, so if you're bored of the intro just fast forward to where the piano comes in.

Most of the orchestral instruments are GPO - Full String section (regular, tremolo, muted), French Horns, Trombones, Tuba, Clarinet, Cymbals. The piano is from Logic and at times I doubled the strings with the ones in Logic. The soundscape type effects are from Bolder Instruments (Chimes and Tibetan Bowls) and also Kore.

I have been listening to way too much Thomas Newman lately...

In The Wind
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: In The Wind...

That's nice Kieth. Let me know when it is finished, PLEASE!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi, This is really a very beautiful piece! I like the mood that you set with the bowls and chimes. When the piano comes does come in, it's a really pleasant transition. Nice effect as it builds up. I think you have done a great job on mixing this also, I love it! John

Hippie - I'm glad you liked it. I'd love to finish it & give it a final mix, but I'm not sure I'll have the time. If I do I'll be sure to send you a PM so I don't pollute the forum with too much of my music.

John - Thanks for listening. I hate to advertise, but the bowls and chimes are from Bolder Sounds and they are sooooo wonderful. If you go to their site they are actually giving away some samples of each for free, and they work in a variety of players (they aren't just the not so great samples). I just got them over break so I HAD to use them. I'm shocked at how the mix turned out for the speakers I was using, but I still think it needs a fair amount of work to really get the sound I want. I also just listened to it in the car, and I didn't realize how quiet the mix was, so I'll have to fix that too.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

This was very effective. You create a real sound world here.

Top notch work.

Phil

Keith,

Well, if this is what comes of listening to too much Thomas Newman, then keep doing it! Reminiscent of his style, yes, but still unique; and quite haunting and beautiful. Such a nice mix, as well - you really have great skill. Beautifully done.

Was this for a specific project, or just a one-off?

Happy New Year.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Keith,

Fascinating in its rich and inventive sonorities (that opening
    is golden), Keith; and hauntingly lovely at the same time...
    that simple, clear melodic work winding forward through
    the central section.

You're on a good path with this one, my friend; stay
    with it!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Phil - Thanks for listening. "Sound World" is an interesting way of putting it. I really wanted to set a mood with this more than anything else.

Ron - Thanks for your kind words. By saying that I listen to way too much Thomas Newman I am in no way implying that I have the ability to recreate his sound, but hopefully that's a good thing. And this was just for fun. I wanted to use the new Bolder Sounds and Kore stuff I bought myself over the holidays.

David - I always appreciate your comments. I actually wrote the middle section first and then thought I needed an intro to sort of set the mood. I made the reverb a bit "larger" on the intro to sort of make it atmospheric. I forget who told me this the other day in the forum chat, but they said it wonderfully with "Thomas Newman uses space as an instrument," and that's sort of what I attempted in the intro. Hopefully, I will have time to complete this in the near future.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Wonderful work, Keith!

The opening is proof (yet again) that there are Forum members whom'd I'd Much rather be listening to on the New Age channel my Kate likes to have on the cable in the evenings, rather than the predictable, hum-drum stuff they usually dredge up.

Then the piano, followed by the bold orchestra - thrilling and really well done. Listening again as I type--ooooooh the metallic slithering under the solo piano. And I've always been a sucker for crystalline sounds like rubbing on a wine goblet. Brings me back to when I got my first keyboard sampler back in the '80s, and one of the first set of samples I made was from rubbing crystal glasses with various amounts of water in them.

This may actually be two different pieces in disguise currently as one. You said you composed the middle section first, then decided to have an intro-outro. I like your idea of orchestrating the outro so the piece will build rather than retreat to its origins.

Love it. Thanks.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum