• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Automation list - RMX vs Omnisphere...

Share/Bookmark

Automation list - RMX vs Omnisphere...

I have spent some time trying to set up automation for Omnisphere (from Logic 8.02) but I run in to problems, see Wes thread etc.

[Hint to Eric... :]
    It would be great if Spectrasonics could have the same automation list for Omnisphere as they have for RMX, which by the way, is great.

/Jakob

Re: Automation list - RMX vs Omnisphere...

Automation is quite comprehensive in Omnisphere. See the latest update to the online manual, concepts section, for details on automation and midi learn.
    http://support.spectrasonics.net/omn...pts/index.html

- Glenn

Glenn,

Thanx for your reply.

I have read the manual pages. I still have the same problem as described earlier. I guess I will have to live without automation for Omnisp - except Levels (1-8), which are included in the default list.

I have forwarded my question to Spectrasonics.
    Hopefully they will provide the same outstanding automation list for Omnisp as the one that comes with RMX. If it is so easy to setup I would expect they add it to the next patch release...

Take care!

/Jakob

We probably won't ever include the same set of automatable parameters in the factory default multi for Omnisphere as we did for Stylus, because there is now no limit on which parameters are automatable like there was in Stylus, and it's now so easy to customize it the way you want. But, if you're having trouble, contact tech support and they'll answer your questions about automation.

- Glenn

As answered in Wes thread.

Midi Learn is your answer. 128 midi CC # that you can set for any parameters you wish.

Take an hour or 2 an make a spreadsheet with RMX and Omni side by side - list all 128 CC#s. Cross reference the #'s you want standard between them (like CC16 is filter cutoff, CC17 res, CC 18 Drive, etc - for part 1 in both RMX and Omni). Maybe set standard controls for fx sends 1-4 on part 1. Think about it and plan for several versions to accomodate dif instruments. One for a 1 part instrument, one for a multi, etc.
    After you juggle these around to suit your working habits - open RMX and/ or Omni. Turn on your midi-controller and midi learn all the parameters you need (hint - keep 16-32 open for custom fx control). Save Save Save.

Now your can use the same midi file (w/ automation) to control both RMX or Omni and some of the param will transfer over as needed.
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Arafel,

Thanx for taking the time to answer so thoroughly to my question.

Choosing "Enable Host Automation" is now working as expected. For all parameters. That was not the case yesterday. Hmmm.

Anyhow - it is getting close now... As I can assign automation parameters in Omni, they can also be controlled from Logic (8.0.2). However, I only see the Host Automation parameters by name, as was specifically noted on the following page:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/omn...on/page01.html

"• Logic - After setting up all of your MIDI Learn and Host Automation assignments, you can save a Default Multi, which will load all of your custom assignments each time you open a new instance of Omnisphere. Logic Users will see all learned Host Automation parameters by name upon load."

The only Host Automation parameters mentioned by name is for level 1-8.

(In "Midi Learn Report" the Host Automation parameters are mentioned by name.)

OPPPS! I messed up that comment. It shall of course be:

However, in Logic, I can NOT see Omni's Host Automation parameters by name, only by number.

Quote Originally Posted by JakobE View Post
    Arafel,

Thanx for taking the time to answer so thoroughly to my question.

Choosing "Enable Host Automation" is now working as expected. For all parameters. That was not the case yesterday. Hmmm.

Anyhow - it is getting close now... As I can assign automation parameters in Omni, they can also be controlled from Logic (8.0.2). However, I only see the Host Automation parameters by name, as was specifically noted on the following page:

"• Logic - After setting up all of your MIDI Learn and Host Automation assignments, you can save a Default Multi, which will load all of your custom assignments each time you open a new instance of Omnisphere. Logic Users will see all learned Host Automation parameters by name upon load."

The only Host Automation parameters mentioned by name is for level 1-8.

(In "Midi Learn Report" the Host Automation parameters are mentioned by name.)

We've been assured by Apple that will be fixed in the next Logic update. In the mean time, you can use MIDI Learn report to interpret the numbers. Also see the host-specific notes for Logic in the Omnisphere manual:

- Glenn

Ouchh. I just spent/lost 3 hours trying to get this to work ("it's so easy...") and now you let me know this is a known issue...

Well, is that really a Logic bug? Logic can hande all Automation Parameter Names for RMX and other vendors plug-ins. Hmm...

Now, please please, warn other customers in the manual. As it currently stands, other users will waste time like I did.
    "...Logic Users will see all learned Host Automation parameters by name upon load."

As you stated, that is obviously not possible.

/Jakob

I think you misunderstood. It says it "will" work. I think you assumed it "will not" work, but it does.

- Glenn

P.S. The bug in Logic occurs with any plugin which uses dynamic assignment of parameters for automation. For example, most plugins from Native Instruments.

Go Back to forum