• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: In Progress

Share/Bookmark

In Progress

It's been a while since i last posted anything. This work is unfinished - it ends rather abruptly; I intend to add more to it, but wanted to post something that was still in the workshop, so to speak. The instrumentation is flute, violin (GPO), and guitar (JABB). It falls into three sections: slow intro, a quick section, and then a slower/lyrical section.

As always, any suggestions are welcome!

The link is here (and no, it's not a movie - I really do have to get going on iWeb...):

Trio
    http://homepage.mac.com/ronpearl/iMovieTheater33.html
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: In Progress

Hi Ron, I tried repeatedly to listen to your new piece. The page wants me to install some plug-in and won't play the song. I have Quicktime installed and I am able to hear your other pieces. I have tried both links. Look forward to hearing your work. John

John,

Hmm... Perhaps a different browser? When I click on the link in Safari, a new window pops up, and loads the file in Quicktime. The only alternative is to go the main page under my signature, and scroll to the bottom and click on the link there. IF that doesn't work, then I am stumped (not that it takes much...).

I do appreciate your trying!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Ron, I switched to Safari and got it. I was using Firefox and the other song links would work but not the trio sketch. Anyway, I have listened and enjoyed your new work. As a guitarist, the early chordal parts didn't sound real authentic, but the faster section and the ending movement were much better.
    I suppose this is true for any samples. If you play a particular instrument, sometimes the samples just don't cut it. This is a nice composition and now I want to check out some of your other pieces. Nice page, and it's nice to have the opportunity to listen to more of your work.
    I'm listening to Billings now. What does the title mean? I spent my boyhood years in Sheridan, Wyoming, to the south of Billings, Montana. Wow, this is a lovely orchestration Ron. Best regards, John

John,

Yes, the guitar sample is a problem. I am a guitarist as well, so I understand your reaction. Perhaps a flutist would feel the same way, but try as I amy, I can't get a better sound out of the guitar sample; I want to say user error, but...

Glad you found an liked Billings. The reference is to William Billings, early American composer; hence the choral/modal approach. Not Montana, I'm afraid; I am, however, from Washington (Seattle and Spokane), so I know how fine the country is out there in the Northwest.

I appreciate your taking the time to listen, and for persevering, as well!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Ron

Why did you use the JABB guitar and not your real one? I forget is it a Taylor or a Martin?

Regardless, the guitar sounds decent to me all the way thru.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hello Ron,

Really enjoyed the mixture of space and economy that you use in this while at the same time introducing action and intensity. The opening bars are very atmospheric and set the scene for further development as the piece unfolds. I particularly liked the way the guitar holds the flute and violin together.

This combination of instruments works well for you and suits your distinct style of writing. The somewhat abrupt ending works for me. I was left wanting to hear more - but that was easily solved by giving it a few more spins through!

Thanks for sharing this Ron - it is always a treat to hear your contributions.

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Ron

Why did you use the JABB guitar and not your real one? I forget is it a Taylor or a Martin?

Regardless, the guitar sounds decent to me all the way thru.

Well done

Ron
    Ron,

I didn't record myself, as that would mean I would have to learn the part! And the maker of my guitar is Richard Brune - a fine classical builder.

Thanks for listening.

All the best in the New Year.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Hello Ron,

Really enjoyed the mixture of space and economy that you use in this while at the same time introducing action and intensity. The opening bars are very atmospheric and set the scene for further development as the piece unfolds. I particularly liked the way the guitar holds the flute and violin together.

This combination of instruments works well for you and suits your distinct style of writing. The somewhat abrupt ending works for me. I was left wanting to hear more - but that was easily solved by giving it a few more spins through!

Thanks for sharing this Ron - it is always a treat to hear your contributions.

Regards,

Graham
    Graham,

Thanks for the kind words. It ends abruptly because it isn't finished - hence the "In Progress" heading, and the note in the original post. But I guess if you listen enough times it could work!

Thanks for stopping by.

Best regards from this side of the water.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

This is very good. A nice interaction between the instruments.

The problem with the guitar is that it's a sample. Guitars don't work well as samples which is great for working guitarists. That's why I bought a Martin D-16 last year. It's going to take some real computing horsepower to make them sound good or maybe something like Synful's technology. Anyway that's my opinion.

I enjoyed it regardless.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast