• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Police look to hack citizens' home PCs

Share/Bookmark

OT - Police look to hack citizens' home PCs

This article from the WorldNetDaily reports that police agencies would be allowed to search your emails, etc. on your personal PC if the investigating officer thinks the search would detect a serious crime.

Whether this is really happening or about to happen, what do you think about this?

Could this be justified for software piracy?

Steve Winkler

Re: OT - Police look to hack citizens' home PCs

I would imagine that it would be allowed only at extreme cases. I'm very much against big brother stuff and anything related to that, and I'm very strong minded about privacy of people's lives... :-/

Then again, piracy could be extremely easily brought down with a team visiting all homes and checking if you have legal stuff or not. Or, much easier, if IP companies would give info. Or if virgin would abandon the idea to have 2 speed internet (which is so illegal it makes my blood boil).

*nikolas thinks this is a dangerous thread and just put more oil in it!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    Or if virgin would abandon the idea to have 2 speed internet (which is so illegal it makes my blood boil).
    What does that mean?

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This is a pretty simple issue, in my point of view. The founders of our nation (USA) understood that limits on the government's power were necessary to prevent abuse. Thus we have the fourth amendment limitations on searches and siezures. I would say that searching a computer, whether electronically from afar or by entering the house and physically looking through it, certainly qualifies as a search of private property. And as such, it should be subject to the same limits as any other search... specifically, a warrant stating exactly what is to be searched for.

In my humble opinion, a computer should be treated as HARDER for police to break into, because there in one location lies a lot of our most private information... passwords, pins, you name it. The potential for abuse of all the information contained on a computer is staggering, and the hurdle to search one certainly shouldn't be LOWER than that for searching a house or car.

My reading of the article is that it applies to the UK and the EU, not to the US. Were it to be attempted here, I would fight it as hard as I've fought other such measures in the past.

In the UK there is no issue, because it would seem that no agency, (government or otherwise), trusted with private information, is capable of holding onto it. The police wouldn't need to hack my email - they just need to ride the train into London, where they will almost certainly find an abandoned laptop containing the complete archives of my internet provider. If they look on the next seat they'll find a USB stick with my credit card details, and on the baggage rack above them there will be a portfolio containing records of whether I've claimed benefits, and the bank account they were paid to.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    In the UK there is no issue, because it would seem that no agency, (government or otherwise), trusted with private information, is capable of holding onto it. The police wouldn't need to hack my email - they just need to ride the train into London, where they will almost certainly find an abandoned laptop containing the complete archives of my internet provider. If they look on the next seat they'll find a USB stick with my credit card details, and on the baggage rack above them there will be a portfolio containing records of whether I've claimed benefits, and the bank account they were paid to.
    Unfortunately quite true.

I have no idea if this is really happening or is being planned but I thought it spoke to a trend I see. That is those in authority are acting out of fear which is leading to rash decisions that will cost us freedom and right to own property if we don't hold these idiots accountable.

Steve

... if the investigating officer thinks the search would detect a serious crime.
    That's why I only commit silly crimes, such as breaking and entering and mismatching socks.

I predict innocent parents will go to jail for keeping pics of their babies bathing on their laptops, while the mastermind of the next 9/11 will laugh at it all sipping coffee with the police chief.

How many fingers, Winston?

Go Back to forum