• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Does anyone use a Studiologic VMK-188 Plus?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone use a Studiologic VMK-188 Plus?

If so, I would be interested to know what you think of it- both for its keyboard action and controller features. I am going to sell my Motif XS8 since I rarely use it for sounds, hence it has become a very expensive controller. VSTi's just keep sounding better and better.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Does anyone use a Studiologic VMK-188 Plus?

i use the SL990XP and love it. Limited controllers of course but I bought a Korg NanoKontrol that rests on top of it.

The VKM are supposed to have the best action. I would have bought that if not for the stupid lack of mod wheel. Mind you, there are assignable faders.

Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis? No mod wheel??????? That be bad!!!!!

That Nano Kontrol sure seems pretty cool, though, for $60.

I was also checking out the new Studiologic/Fatar NUMA........but that doesn't seem to even have a pitch-bend wheel. What the heck???

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

Just so you know the fatar does have a pitch bend/modulation joystick, though it's kind of unconventionally placed. I wish I had one of these, everyone I know who has one loves the action. It's supposedly fatar's best keybed.
    Eric Matlock
    ericmatlock.com

I only use mine in the studio, so I can't comment on it's controller features. The action is absolutely wonderful. I actually prefer it to my Yamaha U1 upright.

You can never go wrong with Fatar (Studiologic) keyboard action, but after further research I may go for the new Yamaha KX8. What makes me a little apprehensive about the Studiologic is the lack of updates in the 3 years that it has been out, not to mention their are no controller templates- only a 3 year old Excel file with the MIDI info. The KX8 is up-to-date and works hand-in-hand with Cubase.....and seems to have a real pitch-bend/Mod wheel.....in a better place also.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Quantum- one thing- NO EXPRESSION PEDAL INPUT on the KX8. This is what pooched this one for me when my Fatar dies. I know the Yammy is under $1000 but what the hell does it cost to add another input for expression/assignable pedals?

Sheesh. I would not go there personally. Also, I do not care for knobs and much prefer sliders. hence the NanoKontrol.

I thought of just getting the SL-990 Pro and the Nano, but I don't have a MIDI interface since I have been using USB controllers for years. I hate adding another thing into the mix (especially since I use Vista 32 & 64), but it is something to think about, I guess.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

I just went to "test-drive" the KX8. What a disappointment that the keys felt horrible to me..... I assumed they would be the same as on the Motif, but to no avail. I guess it will be a Studiologic then.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Sean,

I have an SL-880.
    If I remember right, the only difference between the two was the 880 had aftertouch and more velocity curves.

I find the action to be just 'okay'.
    It doesn't have a Expression jack, it has a Volume jack, which isn't that big of a deal, as you can work around that.
    What I really don't like about it, is the velocity response is terrible.
    you can't get a full 1-127 velocity. The middle is good, but the velocity in the high numbers have huge gaps in it, as well as the lower end.
    I also find it practically impossible to trigger low velocity. You can try to play as soft as possible with a feather and it will trigger 54 at best. The built in curves doesn't fix it.
    Also, there is from time to time mod wheel jitter, which drives me nuts!
    But I will say, it's better than most of the cheap 88 controllers that get put out these days.
    I really wish someone would put out a top notch 88 controller w/o sounds.

To be honest, I don't really see anything out there worth downgrading from your Motif to.

Unless you're hell bent to get rid of your Motif, I would consider keeping it.
    Sure the sounds are useless at the moment.
    However, when your compy goes down and is out of the picture for a short time. That is when you'll be happy you have some onboard sounds to tinker around with until you're up and going again.

just my .02

Go Back to forum