• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mission accomplished

Share/Bookmark

Mission accomplished

The 3 movements of an ensemble with Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Alto & Tenor sax.
    I was making a few changes today(Sun 1/18) and I noticed I had used Finale sounds rather than Garritan. This is very different sound.

I. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7214752&q=hi

II. BLOCKADE
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7215304&q=hi

III. RESOLUTION

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7216085&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 01-18-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: change sound grid

Re: Mission accomplished

That was very good. An interesting interaction of the instruments.

Phil

Thanks for listening, Phil.
    The 2nd mvmt is available above.
    Gary

Hi Gary, Does this piece have anything to do with George Bush?
    I enjoyed your new works, I listened to 3 movements and while listening, looked over the body of your work on the webpage. You certainly are prolific, I saw quite a few pieces that I want to listen to, notably the carols and some of the Billie Holiday songs. That is really an admirable body of work you have. I just wrote to Larry Alexander that there must be something in the water down there that makes you guys so prolific. Keep up the good work! John

Thanks for listening, John.
    I have been retired for 5 years-6 this June.)
    I probably have averaged 20-40 hrs per wk writing in Finale during that time. I also have taken Composition for the past 4 1/2 years which has helped me with a lot of direction in my writing.
    Gary

ps I didn't write this as a specific message. I wrote for a particular feel.
    Last edited by garymosse; 01-08-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling/typo

I've been meaning to post about this work for a while now...I keep coming back to this. It has a kind of Roger Sessions/Persichetti feel to me, though I am by no means any kind of expert on 20th Century composers. This whole thing has a kind of glassy density ((?) - or maybe...tartness?) and a conversational playfulness that I really like. I guess that's what I mean. The textures are really fascinating, and I keep trying to find words to describe it. It sounds almost improvised, but at the same time the form is really clear. Weird. I dig it. I wanna try to write something like this.

--TC

Thanks for listening, TC.
    I just listened again, trying to see thru your ears...
    My writing is a product of a varied musical life.
    Navy Unit Band playing a lot of jazz: 36 years teaching Band and Music: and almost 5 years of private, composition study.
    The emphasis of my study has been the establishing of individual, clean lines, and I finally allowed my Jazz influence to blend into my music.
    My theory on writing music is that You are a product of all the music you have experienced. The trick is to be able to express yourself without hiding who you are.

Gary

Hi, Gary

This music is so interesting, and comes from a place I can't find an analogy for in myself. I like that when I hear something that challenges my own concept of music so much.

I like grebnar's phrase, that there's a playful conversational tone in the interplay between instruments, good description.

And I also really appreciate what you said, "...My theory on writing music is that You are a product of all the music you have experienced. The trick is to be able to express yourself without hiding who you are..." I think that is so true and well stated.

Thanks for the musical trip you just took me on!

Randy B.

Thanks-as always-for listening, Randy.
    I think my musical thinking has always been away from the main flow of music. I guess that's why I don't receive many comments on some of my works.
    I think sometimes there is no way to express yourself after listening. I usually don't comment on forum entries if I don't relate to them.

Gary

Wonderful stuff, Gary. Very clear motivistic thinking and you get some wonderful sound textures from the way the instruments blend together. I'd love to hear a live performance!

Congratulations,
    Jan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast