• Register
  • Help

Topic: In Memory of my Friend Solo Cello and Piano

Share/Bookmark

In Memory of my Friend Solo Cello and Piano

Hey Everyone,

I just finished this short piece for solo cello and piano, tentatively titled "In Memory of My Friend". The week before Christmas, my wife and I returned home to find that one of our dogs, Sweetpea, had re-ruptured a disk in her back, causing her hind legs to be paralyzed. We rushed her to the emergency vet, hoping for a miracle. Unfortunately, the damage was unrepairable.

This had happened to her once before, about 3 years ago. We had a $3,000 operation performed to correct the problem, which after a 3 month recovery process, she was good as new. Had her newest injury been operable, I would have spent the money at the drop of a hat. However, it was not to be so. We waited until Monday to take her to out personal vet and had her put to sleep.

Anyway, as when my grandmothers passed away, I dealt with the loss by delving into my muse and producing this piece of music. It was meant to be a Lament, but as you can see, it turned into a rather fiery piece.

It was written using Sibelius 5 and GPO in about 3 days. The reverb is a room convolution used in Waves Platinum IR L. It is written in binary (AB) form.

In Memory of my Friend

Thanks for listening. Comments are always welcome.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: In Memory of my Friend Solo Cello and Piano

I am sorry for your loss. Dogs can certainly become as close and maybe closer than family members.

The piece for cello and piano is indeed a fiery one but has the elements of lament you were going for. Musically the piece hangs together quite well. The interchange of lines and the interaction of the two players parts are very nice. I enjoyed listening to this piece. Thank you Jonny.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

A wonderful piece despite the circumstances.

The overall character of the music tells me this dog was full of energy and feisty. Musically very nice, but I am sorry for your loss.

Steve Winkler

A wonderful tribute to your "friend" Johnny. Being a
    dog lover and possessing two, I know the bond and love
    that you had for your kindred canine. Your friend was
    a beautiful-looking animal and looked very bright.

I can fully understand your grief, but think of it this way:
    whenever you grieve, cry, feel very down, your "friend"
    will know how much you really loved him/her.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks Jonny for sharing even in your time of loss and mourning. John

"I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there."
    Rev. Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by bigears

"I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there."
    Rev. Billy Graham
    What a pretty dog.
    I cried when I read your post Jonny, and cried even harder when I reflected on my Sparky's life,,,, then John posted that quote from Billy Graham.... and gave me more hope

I feel your pain...

So sorry Jonny

Dan

Hi, Johnny

This is quite a post, the story of your loss and how you were inspired to sit down and compose a musical tribute to your canine companion.

To me, you clearly let out all of your conflicted emotions during those few days of composing and recording. And that's certainly a strong force to drive music into existence. I'm sure you'll cherish this piece of yours even more as time goes on.

Thank you for letting us hear.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum