• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An Old Fashion-Romantic Waltz and Serenade

Share/Bookmark

Arrow An Old Fashion-Romantic Waltz and Serenade

You guessed it, this is my 5th entry for "Suite Musical Desserts" which is a suite that will eventually consist of 12 pieces for piano (and eventually an orchestrated version will follow). Each piece depicts a different mood or dessert to feast on and each will be dedicated to someone on this forum because I want to give something back to so many wonderful people here.

I think my next piece will be quite contemporary ( at least for me) but for now, this represents the other end of the spectrum with unabashed feelings and emotions pouring out of every seam.

Probably some of you will dislike this, but the suite wouldn't be complete without a sentimental entry.

This piece is dedicated to Denis Markell, who is on this forum but has not posted anything yet, but plans to. He is a good friend and has helped me out, so this is dedicated to him and his family. Denis's background is musical theatre, so the middle part of this piece, the serenade, is really a Broadway song without words.....(maybe without melody too, I hope not!)

Simple in form AB AB CAC A-coda. Might mention the fact that the middle part of the serenade (at 3:05 minutes) is actually the Waltz theme slowed way down and smoothed out, but nonetheless, very recognizable.

Hope you enjoy, it was fun to write,

Cass

An Old Fashion-Romantic Waltz and Serenade

Re: An Old Fashion-Romantic Waltz and Serenade

Very enjoyable to listen to. Nicely done.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Excellent wrting, Cass.

Just a fascinating adventure into the "Waltz" and beyond.
    Nice melodies, great accompaniment and outstanding
    accents and dynamics.

A very, very enjoyable listen, Cass.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: An Old Fashioned-Romantic Waltz and Serenade

That's real nice, Mr. Cass. It's a plate full of musical, tasty goodies. Very inventive and enjoyable. I like your robust, rollicking ending.

Keep up the fine work.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I enjoyed all the changes. There were a lot of musical ideas in this.

Nice piano work!

Phil

This piece is dedicated to Denis Markell, who is on this forum but has not posted anything yet, but plans to. He is a good friend and has helped me out, so this is dedicated to him and his family. Denis's background is musical theatre, so the middle part of this piece, the serenade, is really a Broadway song without words.....(maybe without melody too, I hope not!)
    Well, this is a heck of way to get introduced to this group! It's a wonderful piece. And it will be instructive to see how it gets orchestrated. The beginning especially reminds me a little of Charles Ives in his more nostalgic moods...

Cass has been incredibly helpful to me in getting me up to speed with all the attendent nuttiness of trying to understand how to get all this stuff to make music (another shout out to Jamie Kowalski who also gave much of his time to get my brain around the finer points of Sonar and GPO).

For those of you who haven't corresponded with Cass, I can give you the dirt: privately, he's just as nice, generous, and funny as he is on the forum. The jerk.

I promise to post something as soon as I get something I like. Which might be 2012.

Thanks again, Cass. What a wonderful surprise.

Denis

Loved it!

And the performance on this was excellent, with
    real drive and kick where needed, gentleness where
    warranted...

With no exception, here, Cass, there's always a richness
    and generosity to your writing -- leavened, of course,
    with the hallmark Hansen humor.

And Denis, welcome aboard! The world's scheduled to
    end on December 21st, 2012; so I do hope you'll bring
    us along something a little before then.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Very enjoyable to listen to. Nicely done.
    Hey Hippie,

Well it was a enjoyable to write too. I wanted it to be just a fun piece to listen to and not have to think about it to much. Glad you like it!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Excellent wrting, Cass.
    great accompaniment and outstanding
    accents and dynamics.

A very, very enjoyable listen, Cass.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. I was really trying to pull out the stops on this one to try to achieve as much dynamic expression as possible out of the Steinway to make it sound orchestral. After reading thru the posts, it looks like a might have achieved that.

My best,

Cass

Re: An Old Fashioned-Romantic Waltz and Serenade

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    That's real nice, Mr. Cass. It's a plate full of musical, tasty goodies. Very inventive and enjoyable.

Much the same as yours, I would say Larry. We’re both having a great frolicking time using this Steinway aren’t we. Just makes everything you sound so much better huh…
    Thanks for the energetic reply.

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast