• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HELP! Sustain Pedal Noise - Sonar 8PE

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up SOLVED:HELP! Sustain Pedal Noise - Sonar 8PE

SOLVED: Read my last post #9

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm using Steinway Pro version in Sonar 8.02PE. Some time ago, prior to the 1.01 update, I was having problems rendering my MIDI recorded songs to wave files. At that time David Viens, of Plogue sent me a PM and provided me a x86.dll file that fixed my specific problem in Sonar. All was well. Since then, I updated to 1.01 (I think this is correct) and have not used to software much until recently. Now I've noticed that during quiet moments when the sustain pedal is used there is a very noticible noise. This was never there in the same song before. Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix.

I'm in a bind. I'm working with a studio in Nashville and they have asked me to seperate a previously submitted vocal and Piano mix into seperate wave files. This is how I noticed the noise which was not previously there before the update. I only have a couple of days to fix this. Your help is greatly appreciated. Is there a way to restore the software to pre- 1.01 update? I really don't want to re-install from scratch. I'm afraid of having more problems.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Last edited by psalmist35; 01-09-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Problem Solved

Question Re: HELP! Sustain Pedal Noise - Sonar 8PE

in the main section is the mechanical noise set to zero
    just a thought

Re: HELP! Sustain Pedal Noise - Sonar 8PE

BTW,
    In case anyone asks Mechanical noise, Sustain Res and Sympathetic Res are all turned off when I hear this noise. It's not the Wosh sound others have mentioned it's a clicking noise.

Rich

There is a pedal noise with release samples, but I wouldn't describe it as a click sound. Is it still there without release samples?

I'd suggest to try the stand-alone version to see if you get any sort of sustain click there. If not, then for quick results you could export your midi track from Sonar, and play the midi track in the stand-alone (the bottom of the window is a midi player) while recording to wav (there is a menu option to record). Once done, you can import the wav file into an audio track in Sonar. This isn't ideal of course, but it's a possible very fast way for you to get the result you need.
    I haven't heard previously of a bug of this nature, especially considering you have the sustain resonance off, so you might also want to check that something unexpected isn't happening in Sonar. Maybe some other track getting midi or something weird in the Sonar audio/midi setup. If it happens in the stand-alone too, then you'll probably want to send an email to support - well even if not, you might do well to send an email.
    Hope this helps

Jeff,
    Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestions and post my findings as soon as I get a chance. This project has 14 Tracks (Vocal and Piano only) and orchestral arrangements are being recorded in Nashville this weekend so I may not be able to respond right away. Thanks for your help.

Rich

After a frustrating evening last light, I was not able to get rid of the damper pedal noises I spoke of earlier. I do have samples, of the offending sounds pre-1.01 update and post update if anyone cares to hear them.

Unfortunately, in my frustration and trying to meet my deadline, I unwillingly had to go with a different piano sampler. Just to clarify, the stand alone method suggested by Jeff, to include the stand-alone MIDI player, did not offer any different results. So, after working with the different piano samples I decided that I would try to, as Barbra Streisand would say,go back to "The Way We Were". Obviously not thinking of the impact this might have, I uninstalled Steinway in order to do a re-install, even cleaned up the registry. In hind sight, have I used up one of my four installs? If so this will really be upsetting to me. I have not had time to re-install yet but the damage has been done. Hmmm!

Rich
    Last edited by psalmist35; 01-09-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edit: for clarity and spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by psalmist35 View Post
    Unfortunately, in my frustration and trying to meet my deadline, I unwillingly had to go with a different piano sampler. Rich
    Join the club! I, too, had to abandon the Garritan Steinway for issues that continue to go unresolved.

It's too bad... I really wanted this library to work for me!

Curt

Thumbs up SOLVED: HELP! Sustain Pedal Noise - Sonar 8PE

Well,
    If I waisted an install. It was worth it. I finally completed my re-installation and I'm back to where I was! Pre-1.01 update. No damper noise, no nothing. ALL IS WELL!!! Whoo Hooo!!

What I did was uninstalled, did a re-installation and used the "SteinwayVST_x86.dll" 1.0.3.7 David sent me in a private email. This *.dll originally resolved my bouncing issues I had with Sonar 7 & 8 Producer Edition. So Polgue, if you're listening, something has happened between the 1.0.3.7 dll version provided by David and the 1.01 update. Hope this helps in the bug fixes.

Rich

edit: typos
    Last edited by psalmist35; 01-09-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typos

According to what Gary just posted in another thread, you are allowed installations on 4 different machines. So this limit is not affected if you simply re-install on the same machine.

So this is good news for you all around! Glad to hear you're back in business.

Curt

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast