• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Movie Challenge Discussion of Video Use

Share/Bookmark

Movie Challenge Discussion of Video Use

Ok everyone,

Jon Bryson has sent me a video clip (well, actually 2) for us to try with our softwre. One is a quicktime movie for you MAC guys/gals and one is a windows media file for those PC users. I will post both here.

This is a new direction for the Movie Challenges and I would like to get the forums feedback and ideas. More can be read about this thread by visiting the thread on Movie Challenge #4.

Here is the Quicktime Movie:

http://www.box.net/shared/i12zpok6nf

and here is the Windows Media File:

http://www.box.net/shared/2kd0e4p5yv

I also spent a little (emphasis on a little) time this morning creating an example of the results. I used Finale 2008 to sync the original music to the video and then I used Windows Movie Maker to create the movie (which, sorry MAC) users, is in Windows Media format. If I have time today, I will also make it a quicktime movie.

My Feeble Attempt:
    http://www.box.net/shared/2p1u1hrd6j

Have a go at this and see what you think about using real video clips.

Many thanks to Jon Bryson for taking the time to edit and create the useable clips. THANKS JON!

best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Movie Challenge Discussion of Video Use

Hey, great!--Thanks Bill for the new post, and Jon for the leg work and hosting the clip.

Bill, I don't know what you mean here, "...I used Finale 2008 to sync the original music to the video..."

Do you mean you found the original score for "Phantom" and synced it up? I looked at the "feeble attempt" you posted and thought it was pretty cool!

In any case - I hope to make time to doodle with this. I really think that if people open the Help files of their apps, they'll figure out how to work with vid.

Thanks again!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Bill, I don't know what you mean here, "...I used Finale 2008 to sync the original music to the video..."

Do you mean you found the original score for "Phantom" and synced it up? I looked at the "feeble attempt" you posted and thought it was pretty cool!
    Randy
    I wrote original music and used Finale 2008 to sync the section of music to the length of the section of the video clip where I wanted the sounds to change.

Actually a pretty simple task - once you figure it out!

I'd be glad to help anyone with this if they need help.

Best,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

AH! Very cool, Bill - Thanks for the clarification. When you said "the original music"--I was confused.

And Really good to hear that it turned out to not be as difficult as you worried it might be. I am confident that's what most people will find, that Hey--this is simple and fun.

--Looking forward to finding some time to play with this myself.

Randy

Of course I'm an advocate of using video. A little over a year ago when the idea for these challenges came up, I was really hoping for something with video since it adds a completely new dimension to the task of composing.

Anyway, I've successfully used Windows Movie Maker on several occasions to sync music with video; it's a pretty simple and intuitive program ideal for such a basic task. I suppose the real trick is in writing the music if you don't have music software that will load in video. But unless you want to spend a fair amount of money on new software, I don't think there's really any way around that. You'll just have to do the math and figure out the timings.

I really hope that wouldn't discourage anyone too much; it would be really awesome if we could use the challenges as a way of completely scoring entire films (or rescoring public domain films).
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I think this would be alot of fun. It would be a chance to do something different and learn aspects of software I never use.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    Of course I'm an advocate of using video. A little over a year ago when the idea for these challenges came up, I was really hoping for something with video since it adds a completely new dimension to the task of composing.
    I am glad you are with us. Nice to hear from you.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    I think this would be alot of fun. It would be a chance to do something different and learn aspects of software I never use.

Steve Winkler
    Great Steve, this should liven up the challenge a bit.

Challenge #10 Winner

I love this!

And I love all of these colorful characters on this board. You are all just awesome. I love to come over here to hide from the crazy myspace fans and just read through the posts.

This thread, though is going to be a great one.

So is this video clip a practice run to see what bugs come up?

Have a great weekend!

All the best,

Jon
    ________winner________
    Orchestral Composer of the Year
    ________nominated for________
    Male Singer-Songwriter of the Year
    18th Annual Los Angeles Music Awards
    myspace.com/ComeAndGetMe

Quote Originally Posted by magnificent View Post
    I love this!

This thread, though is going to be a great one.

So is this video clip a practice run to see what bugs come up?
    Jon
    This is to test for bugs, Jon. Let's see where it takes us. All you need to do is download the wmv or the mov file and write a score to go along with the video clip. Report back to let me know how it is going and what difficulties you have encountered.

Best,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum