• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Clarinet

Share/Bookmark

A Clarinet

I cannot find an A clarinet amongst the Woodwind Instruments. Is there any chance of including one please?
    Cheers,
    John.

Re: A Clarinet

Is that a Canadian clarinet, eh?

We did record an A Clarinet and it is something we can consider including later or making it available as a download in the future - eh?

Gary

You could use the Bb Clarinet and transpose it as an A clarinet, but you don't get the same timbre.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Gary,

Since we're asking for the A clarinet, did you guys also happen to record an Eb contra alto clarinet (sometimes referred to as an Eb contra bass)? This is an often-used pit double for the low reed chair in Broadway musicals. As a work around, I've been using the CaMB Bb contra bass clarinet and limiting my low range to the concert Gb low limit of the Eb contra alto.

Doesn't hurt to ask, "eh"?

Regards,

Frank

I think if you listened †o 5 A clarinets & 5 Bb clarinets & then mixed them up, you couldn't tell the difference. Tone is mostly from the ear of the performer who shapes it to his own ear.
    Listen to a clarinet solo in an orchestra. Can you tell any distinctive characteristic which makes it an A clarinet?
    The transposition in Finale uses a correct transposition for the written A clarinet.
    Gary

except that you need an extra step if you really want an A clarinet in Finale..
    you also need to transpose the instrument in the Kontakt Player.

without the transposition in the Kontakt player you won't actually get the lowest sounding note of the A clarinet.

Lightbulb Re: A Clarinet

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Gary,

Since we're asking for the A clarinet, did you guys also happen to record an Eb contra alto clarinet (sometimes referred to as an Eb contra bass)? This is an often-used pit double for the low reed chair in Broadway musicals. As a work around, I've been using the CaMB Bb contra bass clarinet and limiting my low range to the concert Gb low limit of the Eb contra alto.

Doesn't hurt to ask, "eh"?

Regards,

Frank
    If I remember right, the original GPO release had an Eb contra as the contrabass clarinet sample, and later replaced with a Bb contra sample. Gary, can you just relabel the old Eb contra samples as "Eb contra" (or "Eb contra-alto clarinet") and re-release them?

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

I think its also odd there is no woodblock i heared. little used i think but. ps. dont currently have gpo but i maybe buy this someday.

--!!--me and my humble tastes. I'm happy with the Bb and Eb Clarinet already in GPO.

And then there are the alternate Clarinets in JABB and in CMB. I'm surrounded by Clarinets! HEeeeeeeeeelp!

--woodblock--Hey, I think that's in the Percussion Toys bank?

Randy B.

Many thanks, gentlemen, for all your helpful suggestions. I spend much of my time copying out rare 19th century chamber and orchestral works into Noteworthy for uploading to the Internet at the Noteworthy Scriptorium and the Classical Music Archives. Many of them call for A clarinets. Since I had difficulty getting GPO to work with Noteworthy, I recently saved up and invested in Finale 2009, because I had heard that it had GPO built in. As I find Finale much harder and hence slower to work with, I look forward to the day when Noteworthy itself has GPO built in. Meanwhile, Gary, I await with great interest your proposed download of the A clarinet.
    Cheers,
    John.

Go Back to forum