• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 4 Installs? More info please

Share/Bookmark

4 Installs? More info please

Hi

I recently ordered the Steinway Professional edition. It hasn't yet arrived however I have since read that there are a maximum of 4 installs allowed of this program.

This information wasn't exactly clear at the time of purchase and it has only come to my attention after reading other peoples posts.

If someone could clarify this : You are allowed 4 installs of the program in the period you own the software. NOT that you are allowed more than 4 installations on separate machines.

If the former is true then I will certainly be cancelling my order. One of the things that swayed me towards the Garritan Steinway was the advertised "Graceful Copy Protection". More people than myself use the computer and I do a full upgrade every 2 years.

Lets hope its the latter.

Kind regards
    Louise

Re: 4 Installs? More info please

Louise,

You are allowed 4 installations on separate machines. Not 4 attempts sequentially but 4 different machines.

Best,

Gary

Many thanks for your quick reply. Thats fantastic news.

So providing I have the .png license card I can just reinstall when necessary and move that across?

If that is the case, I think maybe a sticky thread making this clear could be useful, as I know there are others who are under the same impression as me!

But many thanks once again. Now I can carry on being excited about receiving it!!

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by louiseandkeys View Post
    Hi

I recently ordered the Steinway Professional edition.
    Louise
    Doh! I would have sold you mine at a great price! Oh well, enjoy it!

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Louise,

You are allowed 4 installations on separate machines. Not 4 attempts sequentially but 4 different machines.

Best,

Gary
    Just to clarify, does this mean that an operating system reinstall on the same hardware will count as a new machine? In either case it sounds like there is no way to deauthorize an old computer, and that after 4 installs I'll be unable to use the software that I purchased. Is this correct? If so then this CANNOT be classified as graceful DRM. I am in the habit of reinstalling Windows every year or so if not more frequently than that, and so I would have to rebuy software that I paid for in full. I am really very upset about this, because the only reason that I bought the Garritan Steinway over EastWest's Quantum Leap Pianos was that Garritan advertised a nonintrusive DRM scheme that I assumed would allow me to use the software indefinitely for my own personal use. And even if I get a response saying that exceptions can be made if I email tech support etc. I don't want to hear about it, because no company lasts forever, and when I buy quality software I expect to be able to use it forever without having to rely on a company's servers to keep it going. I feel now as if I've been duped into buying the Garritan Steinway even though I should have read the license agreement in full before my purchase. I really just have to come out and say that had I known of an activation limit I would not have purchased the software and if this is the company policy that I plan on doing no more business with Garritan. I know there must be cost benefit analyses on how DRM can protect and hurt sales figures, but just know that there are plenty of consumers like myself who base all of their software buying decisions currently on the absence of DRM instead of finding the best software for their needs and that this state of affairs is frustrating to the consumer and drives away many potential sales. Thanks for listening. Also, I love the Steinway and will use it while it lasts...

Angry Re: 4 Installs? More info please

yes indeed this is how the masses feel, one response i received was that giga only allows one well giga is not here any longer
    I see this limit only imposed on people who purchase the products

I'm not going to continue on this subject it puts me on the roof

just a comment

Thumbs up Re: 4 Installs? More info please

that being said I still love this product and I do own just about all pianos except Ivory , the more time spent tweeking this product, well its just gets better my hats off to the team

So presumably you cannot move your .png card to a new computer and continue to use the program.

In the 3 months it's taken to arrive at "no eta available" I've decided it's time to cancel my order and look elsewhere for a product. A real shame because this was certainly the best piano vsti I had heard.

Yes, you can move the .png file to another computer as I've done it myself. You are allowed to install on 4 different computers.

Where are you getting the 'no eta available' from?

Jim

WOW! You still haven't received your piano?? I would email Gary if I were you. Something is just wrong.
    Curt

Go Back to forum