• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Tonehammer Contest: Guess and win the instrument

Share/Bookmark

Question Tonehammer Contest: Guess and win the instrument

Hey all, Troels has whipped up a cool little demo of our latest library due out on January 15th and we figured a little contest was in order. We want you to guess what exact kind of instrument it is, because it surely is an odd one.

The first person in this thread that can guess the main instrument in the demo as well as the most secondary instruments Troels also used in it will win a free copy of the new mystery instrument library. The main instrument is particularly clear during the first and last 15 seconds of the demo. However please try to guess as many of the instruments used in the demo as possible. Hope you will join us on this little trip. We will reveal the instruments and winner here next Wednesday, the 14th.

We'll start by revealing two of the elements to make it easier: The harmonica solo is played live on an Akai EWI wind controller by Steven Tavaglione, using custom Harmonica sounds of his own. Also, the solo vocals are from an old sample library courtesy of PowerFX. You don't have to tell us where anything else came from - just what instruments they are.

Ps. There is a “molecular” hint on the main page of www.tonehammer.com

Download demo here: http://www.tonehammer.com/demos/tone...emo_010909.mp3

Good luck!

Re: Tonehammer Contest: Guess and win the instrument

Edit: removed because i don't have the rest yet

I'm guessing the primary instrument is a waterphone, where you've hit the rods with mallets, rather than bowing them.

Apart from that, I'm thinking:-

Taiko
    Hang Drum
    Rainstick
    PanPipes, or bottles
    Tambourine
    Synth Bass
    Guiro, (or one of those frogs with the turning ratchet through its side, or possibly even those pairs of ovoid magnets that you throw in the air, which make a very tight guiro sound on their way down)

I am listening on cheap headphones though, so it's entirely likely I can't hear half the mix.
    David

steel drums?
    Cooking pans?
    Water container?
    Rain Stick?
    Marbles?
    Glass jars?

Main:steel drum with soft mallets
    Kalimba/kind of Flute sound or bottle/rainsticks/hajouj for bass or some elecric bass detuned a lot/shaker/water can

African thumb piano ?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

to www.tonehammer.com and espacially MikeP

I didn't know your web site:
    I heard all your library and demo : great! all sounds good !..
    I'm are too far from your country to take a cooffe with you but I have a cousin that will arrive soon...He wears glasses and his name is "money", so you can't be wrong with him:recognizable in one second!
    So take a coffe with him he is sympathic!
    Best regards
    Dup

my guess is a propane tank.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Laptop speakers are blown but I will guess:

Steel Drum
    Harmonica
    Guiro
    Voice

okay.......can I revise(lol)...........the molecule looks to be propane....been guessed already....kudos Keith!

Go Back to forum