• Register
  • Help

Topic: Searching for a Bandoneon

Share/Bookmark

Searching for a Bandoneon

Does anyone know where I can obtain a bandoneon sample. Finale has an awful one included in softsynth, but I want to import one for Fin2009 (Mac) for use with Kontakt or Garritan/Aria. I understand the format must be sfz NOT sf2

Re: Searching for a Bandoneon

Not familliar with a Bandoneon, but lack of familliarity with the subject has never kept me from responding to a post before
    Anyway, I would start your search at sf2midi.com. There is a pretty complete archive of various sf2 fonts there. Baring that, a google search on bandoneon sf2 turns up a number of hits.

As for your sfz requirement, that is easily overcome. The sfz player will load either format. I also use Sfzed to convert sf2 into sfz. Once converted, however, I do most of my editing in a text window.

So kind of you to reply. The issue is that I compose using Finale on a Mac and all my work has been notation based. I need to convert sf2 to sfz in order to import into the Garritan/Aria player. Another forum writer suggested using a text editor to convert the file, but I would not know the first thing about it...
    I did have a work around success by having finale call the bandoneon sf2 file as a sound bank, with their built in softsynth player, but this is the only sound it will reproduce. Unless I make that into an mp3 file and mix it with the rest of the orchestra (2 step process) I am stuck. And I don't even know if it will sink up with the rest....

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Not familliar with a Bandoneon, but lack of familliarity with the subject has never kept me from responding to a post before
    Anyway, I would start your search at sf2midi.com. There is a pretty complete archive of various sf2 fonts there. Baring that, a google search on bandoneon sf2 turns up a number of hits.

As for your sfz requirement, that is easily overcome. The sfz player will load either format. I also use Sfzed to convert sf2 into sfz. Once converted, however, I do most of my editing in a text window.

duiliodobrin,

We don't have soundfont import functioning just yet. You may be interested to know that we will have a bandoneon (tango accordion) in an upcoming World Instruments library. More later....

Gary

Thank you Gary. This will be a MAJOR thing for me. At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I just had a 4 movement, 30 minute concerto for bandoneon and orchestra premiered in Zagreb, a contract with Pagani Music in Milan (he is Piazzolla's publisher...), and tons of "tango nuevo" work coming my way. Although the idiosyncratic aspects of style are very difficult to reproduce, a good sample will give me an invaluable tool for experimentation. As an argentine composer, bred on the sounds of bandoneon, PLEASE count on me for whatever you might need. I believe the greatest bandoneon virtuoso today is, believe it or not, and italian-american. His name is Peter Soave and I am positive he will contribute to the cause as well.
    Cheers!
    Duilio

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    duiliodobrin,

We don't have soundfont import functioning just yet. You may be interested to know that we will have a bandoneon (tango accordion) in an upcoming World Instruments library. More later....

Gary

This bandonoen just been released, sounds great!
    http://www.sampleism.com/kaneda/the-bandoneon?sk=rm

--It's always so odd when such old threads are revived. The last response on this thread was over 3 years ago--!--
    guille guareschi, since you're apparently interested in the Bandoneon, it's been an instrument in Garritan World for two years now. As Gary said in his reply on this thread, it was indeed included in World. And it sounds great.

Garritan World - You don't need to look further than that for a great Bandoneon.

Randy

Go Back to forum