• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Task Bar Ad libs!

Share/Bookmark

Task Bar Ad libs!

Well, of topic, probably, but I have spent a lot of time this afternoon trying to get the Windows task bar back to the default position at the bottom of the screen. I can't find a topic for it anywhere. It began when I somehow rotated the screen display when trying to end a non responding program. The rotation was simple enough, but task bar and screen icons are now at the top, even though I had the task bar lock activated. It is driving me bats, because nothing is where I expect it to be. I know the solution is simple, had the problem once before on a different computer, but now I am lost! Any help?

Richard

Re: Task Bar Ad libs!

Try unlocking it, dragging it to the bottom, and re-locking it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp View Post
    Try unlocking it, dragging it to the bottom, and re-locking it.
    Thanks, but I tried that, and it won't drag. I can make the bar wider or narrower, and sometimes it moves to the side, displays vertical. But that is the extent.

Have you tried rebooting the PC?
    Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama View Post
    Have you tried rebooting the PC?
    Yes, thanks. That was my first step, and it can solve many problems, but not this one.

Richard

hmmm...what about returning to the previous restoration point?
    Bosco Adama

Hmmm, it sounds like you may have a rotating monitor and that must have some software or software driver installed with it that is overriding the Windows "Lock the Taskbar" setting. Hunt around and see if you can find anything. If you don't have a rotating monitor, I can't imagine how your screen could have been rotated short of some sort of virus.

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp View Post
    Hmmm, it sounds like you may have a rotating monitor and that must have some software or software driver installed with it that is overriding the Windows "Lock the Taskbar" setting. Hunt around and see if you can find anything. If you don't have a rotating monitor, I can't imagine how your screen could have been rotated short of some sort of virus.

Well, my screen can be easily rotated. I did it accidentally, or perhaps it was due to a glitch when I tried to close Sonar. Rotating it back to normal was a snap. But the Task Bar is another matter, still unresolved, can not be corrected by system restore, as system restore informs me it can not restore, three different restore points. So next, I will consider restoring from backup of about 10 days ago. But first, check disk and files. Diagnostics show all is correct (??!!).

Richard

Hi Richard,

You said you can make the task bar bigger. Do that. This is your first step. (second if you count unlocking your taskbar)
    Once you have done that, click and drag on the vacant screen task bar area below / above your start button. The task bar should immediately start to move to the side of the screen and then the bottom depending on where you drag.
    Once set, resize it, then relock it.

Let me know if you are stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Hi Richard,

You said you can make the task bar bigger. Do that. This is your first step. (second if you count unlocking your taskbar)
    Once you have done that, click and drag on the vacant screen task bar area below / above your start button. The task bar should immediately start to move to the side of the screen and then the bottom depending on where you drag.
    Once set, resize it, then relock it.

Let me know if you are stuck.
    I am stuck. I think the problem is caused by Norton, but they gave up.

I can make the bar fat, move the icons to the right, but not the start button. But that is all I can do, except make it skinny again!

Richard

Go Back to forum