• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wires, wires, everywhere!

Wires, wires, everywhere!

I've been at this a long time and you'd think I knew better, but I don't.

The snarl of wires coming out of the back of my computer music setup gets worse with each new piece of gear I add. I'm starting to get afraid to walk back there. I might never come out.

Anyone have any practical tips on how to keep things neat and tidy? I'd especially like to keep power cords away from audio cords/wires.

This is just a spare bedroom setup. I can't put in a raised floor or anything like that.

How do you handle this? Thanks!
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: Wires, wires, everywhere!

if you can show some pictures i'd be happy to offer some of my carpentry advice.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I had the same frustration about 2 years ago and for once I think I came up with a great solution.

I use a combination of velcro and plastic ties to keep my cables both organized and away from each other. I have three groups of cables: 1) Power 2) Audio 3) MIDI/USB/Firewire/etc. I took some time and looked at where my desk was, where my computer was, mics were, outboard gear was and monitors were. I then to draw paths that I would like my cables to take. I had three goals: 1) I wanted cables separated by type 2) I wanted as clean a look as I could get and 3) I wanted to be able to pull my desk and outboard gear rack out (both are on wheels) for maintenance and cleaning.

Once I figured out a path, I figured out what I needed to do to follow the path. To force a path for some cables I took a velcro tie (I bought them at home depot. They are about 6 inches long and half an inch wide. One end has a hole that I can pass the other end through to create a very secure loop.) and nailed it into my desk. I would then slip the appropriate cables through the loop. I did this until I had everything lined up as I wanted them. I then had to purchase a couple of extra cables or cable extensions so that I had enough slack to move my desk/rack. It did not take much and that was a good thing because too much slack would have meant cables drooping. At one point I had to use a plastic tie to `attach' a velcro tie to a table leg because the leg is metal, not wood. The good thing is that it is all hidden behind the leg, so nothing messy shows from the front.

Hopefully this gives you a new idea to consider. Good luck!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks for your replies. I'd love to tie up all the power cords, audio cords, etc. as separate bundles, but that's difficult when, for example, two power cords come from equipment that's 8 ft. apart.

By the way, I always leave 2 ft. of space between my equipment tables and the walls. That makes it easy to get back there.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum