• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Darkness- A Requiem

Share/Bookmark

The Darkness- A Requiem

Our choir will be soon practicing Faure's Requiem so I decided to come up with one of my own.

This uses the G. Steinway, JABB, GPO, Philharmonic and SampleTank2.

The Darkness

http://www.box.net/shared/ug5ye54pz9

Re: The Darkness- A Requiem

Hi Phil, This is something different from you. The dark and scary beginning of this is something else! I like the relief when the solo piano comes in, and then the ensuing orchestral part sounds nice. I was thinking the attack on the strings could maybe be a bit smoother, but I like what you have done on this piece. Hope this somber mood is temporary. John

Wow... the first third of this -- a most interesting and most promising
    departure for you, Phil.

I'm not so sure the abrupt retreat to an almost musicbox-like moment
    in the piano couldn't use a little rethinking; but the remainder of the
    piece is likewise a good foundation for further development.

Phil, if you don't mind my saying so, I think you have two different
    pieces at work, here. I'd very much like to hear you take the first third
    of this separately and work on it further, developing in line with the
    style. There's a great deal of potential in this.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cool Re: The Darkness- A Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Our choir will be soon practicing Faure's Requiem so I decided to come up with one of my own.

This uses the G. Steinway, JABB, GPO, Philharmonic and SampleTank2.

The Darkness

http://www.box.net/shared/ug5ye54pz9
    Wonderful darkness in the beginning, Phil!

I like how the double basses start with the tritone interval!
    Then the ghosts arrive, as if you are describing scenes from "The Seventh Seal!

After the horror, the tension is resolved by the optimism of the piano and the coda piece.

Wonderful horror!

Fred

John

Hi Phil, This is something different from you. The dark and scary beginning of this is something else! I like the relief when the solo piano comes in, and then the ensuing orchestral part sounds nice. I was thinking the attack on the strings could maybe be a bit smoother, but I like what you have done on this piece.
    Yes, it's a little different all right. I sort of wanted the strings to have a little attack instead of legato for this one.

Hope this somber mood is temporary
    My moods fine, I'm just experimenting a little I guess.

Thanks for the comments.

David

Wow... the first third of this -- a most interesting and most promising departure for you, Phil
    Really, I wasn't sure about this section. I thought maybe I was getting a little too weird. It was scaring me some. That's probably why I lightened up later.

Phil, if you don't mind my saying so, I think you have two different
    pieces at work, here. I'd very much like to hear you take the first third
    of this separately and work on it further, developing in line with the
    style. There's a great deal of potential in this.
    Gee whizz David I'll try developing it more. I think I did kind of leave it just hanging. And the end of the third section felt like things weren't finished.

Thank you again for your opinions and guidance David.

Fred

Wonderful darkness in the beginning, Phil!
    Boy, it is dark isn't it!

I like how the double basses start with the tritone interval!
    Then the ghosts arrive, as if you are describing scenes from "The Seventh Seal!
    That's an awesome comparison Fred.

I'm glad you liked it.

Phil

Oh My! Halloween in January! -- wow, Phil - what a surprising sound to hear from you, and I love surprises!

It definitely sounds like two different pieces, as David pointed out. You obviously wanted a stark contrast in the sections, so there's no question you succeeded with that idea.

Impressively such a departure for you, Phil. Keep the surprises coming!

Randy

Phil

I just loved the first third of this one. What a great opening!!

I understand David saying that perhaps there is more than one piece here but IMO, that doesn't have to be the case. Granted that traditionally speaking, the first section is not like the rest and therefore "doesn't fit", but I like it that way. I believe all music tells a story and not all stories need to be in a continuous/linear manner.

I also see what was said about the attack in the strings in the last section. Could use a little work there.

Great piece

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Phil,

When you mentioned that you were inspired to write this because of the Faure, I was expecting something a bit, well, Faure-ish; definitely not that! Very different sections and textures. I liked the abrupt simple piano section - it struck me as somewhat eerie; the section that followed was lovely. I'm still trying to see how all three parts fit together; but all three parts have some wonderful qualities - the Dies Irae mood of the first section is quite striking.

It seems that each time you post something, you show another aspect of your writing; pretty impressive!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Randy

Oh My! Halloween in January! -- wow, Phil - what a surprising sound to hear from you, and I love surprises!
    Well, Halloween is just one big celebration of the deceased isn't it.

It definitely sounds like two different pieces, as David pointed out. You obviously wanted a stark contrast in the sections, so there's no question you succeeded with that idea.
    There is more coming so don't turn off that night light just yet.

Thanks for commenting Randy.

Ron

I just loved the first third of this one. What a great opening!!
    You ain't heard nothin' yet!

I also see what was said about the attack in the strings in the last section. Could use a little work there.
    Yes, That has been corrected.

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

rpearl

When you mentioned that you were inspired to write this because of the Faure, I was expecting something a bit, well, Faure-ish; definitely not that! Very different sections and textures. I liked the abrupt simple piano section - it struck me as somewhat eerie; the section that followed was lovely. I'm still trying to see how all three parts fit together; but all three parts have some wonderful qualities - the Dies Irae mood of the first section is quite striking.
    The second section is probably nice but it was more a pulling away from where I needed to go. Maybe I can use it for another piece of music.

It seems that each time you post something, you show another aspect of your writing; pretty impressive!
    You know I haven't repeated myself yet with a certain style or genre. It's kind of like the Beatles except they made way too much money and I have made none.

Thank you sir!

Phil

Go Back to forum