• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: First Post - First song

Canberra, Australia

First Post - First song

Hi all!

I'm Chris, and I'm totally new to the forums here. I thought I'd add a link to my YouTube site. But to one piece specifically. I'm highly proud of this piece, and would absolutely love to know what everyone else thinks. I'm COMPLETELY fine at taking feedback, by the way!

And I've heard some of the other pieces in this Listening Room, and all sound so much more, I guess, clearer than mine (apart from the fact that I'm using YouTube as my means of streaming music on the internet). I use GPO 3 as in inbuilt component with Finale '08.

So here's the link, and I look forward to some feedback, and enjoying myself on these forums: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=k2EiLGsezQI

PS. If you can't stream YouTube video on your computer and you're ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE to hear my piece send me a message and I'll be happy to send the MP3.

Re: First Post - First song

That's very nice. Majestic! I like it. It certainly has potential.

On the other hand the audio quality itself is not good. Perhaps you could set up your own music website and have your files, in mp3 format, "stream" for listeners.

It appears that you are using about forty-seven times too much reverb. A little goes a long way.

Keep up the good work. Welcome to the forum.

Larry G. Alexander

Central Illinois

Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your first piece and seeing the piano roll view of the midi. You've written some good music and used GPO instruments nicely. I think the sound quality problems might be an issue of posting it on youtube. I'm not clear on what format a file has to be in for them. Most of the pieces you hear in the listening room have been saved as mp3's or wavs and then converted to mp3s. I think most members use at least 192 kbps to get a good quality sound without too large a file size.
    There are many sites that will host your files so that you can share them here. I am using box.net for my purposes.
    Please excuse me if this is all redundant to you. Thanks for sharing your piece. I will be looking forward to hearing more. John

A warm welcome aboard, Chris!

And an excellent piece to introduce yourself. The audio aside for
    the moment, there's strong and able writing in this -- a well done,
    engaging fantasia.

On the audio, Larry's correct -- the lack of clarity you feel is due to
    too much reverb... and easily corrected.

Finale's default on the Ambience reverb is, unfortunately, exactly
    backwards on what you need for wet/dry mix to get good defnition.
    May I suggest you start somewhere around here for trial settings...

The tail ("Time" setting) may be a little too long, so try slowly pulling
    that back until you get good presence without too much ringing.

On recording .mp3's, 192 kb/s is a practical minimum, with 256 kb/s
    preferred. Less than that, and both fidelity and clarity suffer quite
    audibly. YouTube's compression does you no favors; and there
    are, of course, many free alternatives for posting... with Box.net
    one of the better ones in my opinion, as it allows us to directly
    download your file.

Hope that helps, Chris!

All the best,

David Sosnowski

Canberra, Australia

Thank you so much for the replys, folks. So it's the REVERB! There you go. etLux, thank you for the picture. I shall now adjust my reverb promptly!

Larry G. Alexander: I'm going forty seven times too much reverb? You think? Okay then, I'll just take back that precise forty seven!

bigears: I think I have an idea about the kbps. I use Itunes to convert my music. I will explore this kbps function more. So 192 kbps should do it?

Thank for the welcoming and the tips, again. I saw that most of you guys and gals had been using box.net, so again, something further to investigate.

Hey Chris!

Thank you for sharing your music with us. Technical issues aside, your musical talent immediately shines bright. A very well written work!

On a side note, while you are "tweaking" the technical issues, I could host your song as an mp3 from my site. If this would help you in any way to get started please let me know.

Again, great work!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Welcome Chris,

Nice song! Once you get the reverb worked out I hope you post it again.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Greetings, ChrisCraw

And Thank You -!- for sharing your majestically cinematic piece with us. Excellent use of GPO and I can hear that the basics of the recording are also done really well, the mixing of the instruments, detail to controlling the instruments etc.

I read the thread first, and was pleasantly surprised when I took a listen - much better than expected. I suppose the reverb is too deep, and Et Lux's screen shot should help a lot. I've just gotten rather used to You Tube's look and sound I guess, so didn't seem all that horrible to me.

HIGHLY recommend "Box" which has been mentioned on your thread here. Such a good, clean interface, and files play instantly when your audience goes to listen. I only make full tilt 320 MP3s, and they sound the way I want through Box.

Thanks again--You're packed with talent!

Randy B.

Nice work ChrisCraw. I like your sense of texture you display with this piece. I'd be interested in hearing it again when the resolution lends itself to gleaning more detail. Thanks for posting and keep writing.

Steve Winkler

Very well done Chris.

Welcome to the Garritan Forum and hope we
    hear more music from you. Would like to hear
    this piece on "Box.net." With reduced reverb, I
    think it would really sound much better.

Great start, Chris.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast