• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere Vs. Atmosphere patch question

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere Vs. Atmosphere patch question

Hi,

I have a single Omnisphere instance but with different patches attached to different midi channels in Cubase.
    Now I want to add another midi channel attached to Omnisphere but the patch that I want to use is founnd in Atmosphere as well. What's more CPU, RAM, Virtual memory friendly? Adding another channel in Omnisphere or loading up Atmosphere and using the patch from there?
    Is there some rule of thumb I can use for future dilemas like that?

Thanks.

Re: Omnisphere Vs. Atmosphere patch question

Without a question, Atmosphere is more cpu friendly.
    But adding one more patch in Omni may not make a big difference versus loading another GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Without a question, Atmosphere is more cpu friendly.
    For equivalent patches, Omnisphere and Atmosphere cpu usage is generally comparable. I think what might be misleading you is the factory patches in Omnisphere are usually far more complex than the Atmosphere factory patches. Even Omnisphere's Atmosphere patches often have effects added.

- Glenn

Hello,

I have Omni and atmosphere side by side. It is my impression that an Atmosphere patch in Omni is "Larger" i.e to my ears it is sonically superior. I puzzled about this and wondered why. I notice that many Atmosphere patches have "sonic soup" applied i.e. the FX rack. It makes a difference as a standalone. Whether this view will prevail in a mix when so many components compete for the same sound space I am not sure.

Reminds me a bit of the first 10 presets on a synth in the music shop - standalone so good you buy the unit but a bugger to handle in a mix. And then so many weedy duff Akai S1000 presets that shine in a mix - they don't compete for space.

best wishes, Neil

The effects applied to the Atmosphere patches are minimal EQ, Delay and Warming effects....so they aren't really all that crazy. :-)

crazy is not relevant - rather the frequency spectrum -- sorry for that pun shouldn't you be at or on the way to NAMM?

best wishes, Neil

Neil:

Have you considered having someone give you a 'blindfold' test to see if identical patches really do sound different? Maybe I should try that.

My ears play tricks on me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by neil1000 View Post
    Hello,

I have Omni and atmosphere side by side. It is my impression that an Atmosphere patch in Omni is "Larger" i.e to my ears it is sonically superior. I puzzled about this and wondered why. I notice that many Atmosphere patches have "sonic soup" applied i.e. the FX rack. It makes a difference as a standalone. Whether this view will prevail in a mix when so many components compete for the same sound space I am not sure.

Reminds me a bit of the first 10 presets on a synth in the music shop - standalone so good you buy the unit but a bugger to handle in a mix. And then so many weedy duff Akai S1000 presets that shine in a mix - they don't compete for space.

best wishes, Neil

Hi..I don't know about an A/B comparison thing..I just for the life of me can't figure out why Spectrasonics didn't make the Atmo. patches available under the original categories..I mean the browser should reflect the same as Atmospheres' banks,yet it doesn't..Sometimes the descisions made by Spectrasonics are just mind numbing..And this one is in my opinion not a very good chose on their part..

Keep in mind I've waited well over a year to use again a plugin I bought,then wasn't able to use on an intel Mac..Then the wrapper..Which didn't work for me..Then pay an additional $125 to again use Atmo..Then wait for the patches..And then have no way to access them via the browser in their original hierarchy...I'm not saying I am ungrateful for the generous upgrade price..I just wanted to use Atmosphere and was shut out for a considerable time..

My thought is make the browser the way it was in Atmo. for that library..JON

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    Hi..I don't know about an A/B comparison thing..I just for the life of me can't figure out why Spectrasonics didn't make the Atmo. patches available under the original categories..I mean the browser should reflect the same as Atmospheres' banks,yet it doesn't..Sometimes the descisions made by Spectrasonics are just mind numbing..And this one is in my opinion not a very good chose on their part..

Keep in mind I've waited well over a year to use again a plugin I bought,then wasn't able to use on an intel Mac..Then the wrapper..Which didn't work for me..Then pay an additional $125 to again use Atmo..Then wait for the patches..And then have no way to access them via the browser in their original hierarchy...I'm not saying I am ungrateful for the generous upgrade price..I just wanted to use Atmosphere and was shut out for a considerable time..

My thought is make the browser the way it was in Atmo. for that library..JON
    Hmmmm. I'm never sure about Mac systems, but all of the original categories of Atmosphere still exist in Omnisphere. They are in the tags field. So if you wnated to see all the "Warm Pads" patches, for instance, just do a search in the Omni browser for warm pads and all those will show up. And even more specifically, if you know what subcategory you want to look at just use that in the search. i.e., "category/subcategory" (can't remember specific directories off hand - but you get the idea) and the browser will search accordingly.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by neil1000 View Post
    Hello,

best wishes, Neil
    I was part of the conversion team that transfered the Atmopatches into Omni.
    The fact that they sound superior in Omni is because the Steamengine sounds different than the original UVI engine in Atmo. More transparent and without any aliasing.
    The more transparent sound is one reason why Omnisphere is actually really easy to mix. I dont find that the sounds compete for sonic space.
    Of course if you use 20 patches all with their own reverb it gets too busy so the first thing to do in a multi situation is to switch off the reverb in every part and use the aux buss to put all the sounds in the same sonic space.

Hans

Go Back to forum