• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Music Computer and the Internet

Share/Bookmark

OT: Music Computer and the Internet

I have a second PC, other than my DAW machine, that I use to access the internet. Sometimes however, in the case of an update or fix, it seems that the only way to accomplish that is to go online with my music PC. I always go straight to the site in question, download what I need to, and then get off.

I was just curious though, do any of you go online with your music PC? Do you have virus/spy ware that you use for this purpose? Do you enable before going online and then disable afterward? Or do you just avoid going on line with your music PC completely?

I am particularly interested as a few weeks ago I had someone send me an e-mail, under the guise of being interested in my services, and in response to an add I had run. The e-mail had an attachment and, like a fool, I opened it. It did turn out to be a form of spy ware that my software identified – one that was used to steal user names and passwords. This was the first time I have ever had such an experience. I am still not convinced, based on some unusual behavior of my system since then, that the problem has been 100% removed.

Just hoping to get a discussion going about the pro/cons/risk of using your DAW system to access the net. Is it a "only when absolutely necessary" (and then with or without protective software) or is it a case of "never at all". And even in terms of a second PC, does being in the position of running adds and soliciting business drastically increase the risk to one’s system? And how does one offset this risk?

Please – all comments welcome.

Re: OT: Music Computer and the Internet

I NEVER use my DAW on the internet. I download updates, etc. with my general use computer and then transfer the updates to the DAW via a usb flash drive. Yeah, it's an extra step, but it's safe. NI updates can be a little lengthy this way but they do always work. As a matter of fact, when I designed my DAW I intentionally had it built without a modem so I wouldn't be tempted to put it on the 'net. Better safe than sorry.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

I haven't used my Daw on the net either.
    I just transfer things from PC to PC.

I'm even thinking about having 2 internet machines.
    One for general browsing and one for serious things like online banking, etc.
    The internet is a dangerous place.

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    The internet is a dangerous place.
    Of that, I am becoming more and more certain.

What a dark world it is sometimes.

Please guys - chime in. I suspect that this is a topic that needs to be discussed in full here.

I'm another who never takes the DAW on the internet. I've come to realise, with the machine that I do my downloading on, that it's almost impossible to avoid trouble; I've never opened an attachment on an email, never visited a pirate-ware site, never downloaded torrents, etc, etc - but last week my computer suddenly started broadcasting hundreds of MB of information (I have no idea what, or where to) every time I let it connect, and wouldn't stop trying to connect, no matter how often I clicked 'work offline.' During the previous build of my internet machine I was similarly cautious, but somehow acquired a program that implanted commercial popups on my machine - ones that popped up even while I was offline.

The other thing is that I don't want to have to install antivirus software on my DAW. I know you can configure it to only start up manually, but in my experience that's usually fairly poorly implemented; so I would always worry that at least parts of it were running without my knowledge, and that I was losing some performance. I'd also have to remember to switch on the firewall every time I visited the internet. I can't have it on while I'm working, because it stops me being able to share drives properly across my Vienna machines. So there's always the risk that I would forget that one time.

I go for the USB flash drive option when I can. When a download is bigger than my drive I transfer it to the DAW using a DVD.
    David

I was just curious though, do any of you go online with your music PC? Do you have virus/spy ware that you use for this purpose? Do you enable before going online and then disable afterward? Or do you just avoid going on line with your music PC completely?
    My music PC stays online practically 24/7. I've basically never had any problems, and it saves me so much time. I do keep my Windows XP 64bit installation VERY clean, with basically no software on it except music stuff (unlike my 32bit install which I use for everything else too) but frankly the performance difference is negligible at best.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Pingu,

I hope you have something like Spybot Search and Destroy to remove the spyware that you have obtained.

Someone has certainly managed to take control of your computer.
    They may be using it as a slave, but they may also steal info.

My DAW used to be Internet free for many years until last year. I only browse legitimate music software-related websites and do not use it for e-mail whatsoever. I've yet to have one single problem and find it WAAAAY more convenient now for updates, Receptor installers, uploading songs to Taxi, etc. I feel this saves me time...... which is very important to me. I don't use any anti-virus because I am ONLY on the web for MUSIC related stuff. I also turn off the connection when I am not using it. DO NOT let yourself get tempted to do anything else like surfing non-essential music sites, games, etc. and you should be fine. Also, clean up your browser from time to time (cookies, etc.).

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Linux is the way to go.

Perhaps Puppy Linux or some other light version.

SergeD

I use mine on the net all of the time with no AV running in the background.
    I check for viruses every week along with spyware.

I don't get any viruses. The only spyware is from tracking cookies.

I also use them for email. I go to my account on the web and delete all the necessary emails and load them into my DAWs. These are often purchases with serial numbers for those machines.

Go Back to forum