• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm sure this ...

Share/Bookmark

Question I'm sure this ...

has been asked before but I'm just too lazy this morning to look through all the threads and for some reason "Search" will not let me Soich! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Question - Watt in you experience with the Fronkin - Steinway (well, it is a monster software.) What is a good 88 keyboard to use with the Steinyway?

I was thinking (since I am running out of funds) the M-Audio 88 or something on that level or above? I was going to poichase an M-Audio Axiom 61 however, I thought I hoid it said you really should get a full 88 key keyboard.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, concerns? Is it as cold out there as it is here in Beefalo? And what about that football team? Ya know, the one that claims to be a professional football team but in reality is nothing more than a couple of over paid kids playing back yard catch.

I was going to add 5 tag(s) to this thread but I ran out of material.
    Styxx

Re: I'm sure this ...

Man, that's "flaming".
    Styxx

I can't recommend the M-Audio weighted keyboards. I've got a ProKeys 88 which I bought because it was the least expensive on the market, and my playing in the store seemed acceptable.

Now that I've used it for a while, I have some serious problems with it. First, almost all of the little lights that indicate which button is active have gone out. This is in less than three years.

More importantly, however, I have issues with the touch. I find it nearly impossible to play delicately on the thing. Because of the way the action is built, it requires a certain amount of force to cause the key to depress, and that amount of force results in a key velocity of something on the order of 80. When I play at what would be a moderate volume on a regular piano (force-wise), I regularly get velocities in excess of 110, and frequently pin the thing at 127 when I play more forcefully. And this is at heaviest velocity curve.

No. I don't think this keyboard was a bargain at any price. If I had it to do over again, I would look for a Yamaha, I think (of course, my requirements include a good gigging piano sound, which this also doesn't have once played in the context of a band...)

Thanks for your input Rob. I'm reading more and more of the same on different forums. You're not the first.
    I am too interested in the new Yamaha's and may take a ride to Guitar Center this weekend to sample the beasts.
    By the way, are you using the Steinway with the M-Audio?
    Styxx

Only the JABB Steinway, unfortunately. I shot my wad for this year on the Christmas sale buying GPO. Maybe if I can land a copying job somewhere. Gotta be a composer around here who doesn't speak notation...

Maybe?

Good luck on the controller, and I would recommend one with a few onboard sounds so if and when you play somewhere other than your studio you don't have to lug around a ton of equipment.

Go Back to forum