• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Where can one find sloooow strings?

Share/Bookmark

Where can one find sloooow strings?

Does anyone know where it is possible to find very sloooow played string articulations? Particularly for pppp adagio sections and con sordino.

I have EWQLSO and Vienna SE but I am still looking for something more expressive where you can hear that the bows are moved slowly, not just turning down volume. If that also was available somewhere with added portamento articulations it would be perfect...
    Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 18GB, Mac OS Leopard, MOTU Ultralite
    Logic Pro 9.x, Kontakt 4.x, EWQLSO Plat. XP plus, LASS and other libraries
    keyboards/synths old and new, and a well of inspiration :-)

Re: Where can one find sloooow strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Lhama View Post
    this does not lead to any specific information. only to the main screen of general vienna strings...

The strings in Omnisphere are pretty nice for that style of playing.

For that lovely, filmic, quiet sordino sound, I use the VSL Appassionata Sordino strings and the Project SAM Symphobia sordinos and soft sustains. They're both really beautifully-recorded, and the SAM stuff is especially nuanced. It'll cost you a couple $$, but they're both totally worth it.

kerry

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    For that lovely, filmic, quiet sordino sound, I use the VSL Appassionata Sordino strings and the Project SAM Symphobia sordinos and soft sustains. They're both really beautifully-recorded, and the SAM stuff is especially nuanced. It'll cost you a couple $$, but they're both totally worth it.

kerry
    when i looked at symphobia it seemed to be totally geared towards avant garde and the sound samples on the web site turned me off. but you may be able to tell me if that is not so.
    does symphobia have real portamento in those con sordino articulations?

the vienna se that i have only come with 2 velocity layers in the portamento which is utterly ridiculous and does not fill me with a lot of confidence in the quality and versatility of their other offerings. maybe again, i am wrong.

of course i would love if anybody would offer single instruments or articulations as pay per download since for most other articulations i am quite happy with ewqlso play plat. plus. it has a wealth of good usable articulations except the painful omission of portamento and the slow pppp con sordino expressions for extreme adagios. oh well, of course there is always an ongoing wishlist... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
    i thought omnisphere was a synth...? i know it has sample material but i don't think it was created to do real strings...

Quote Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
    +1 - The strings from the Atmosphere library.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
    when i looked at symphobia it seemed to be totally geared towards avant garde and the sound samples on the web site turned me off. but you may be able to tell me if that is not so.
    does symphobia have real portamento in those con sordino articulations?
    Real portamento: no. But the appassionata strings from VI do have real portamento.

Symphobia: one of the little surprises contained in this library are sordino and soft sustain strings. I believe you can play with the sounds at trysounds.com. They're brilliant.

As for VI Appasionatas, look at the VSL website to see how many velocity layers, etc., the full collection contains. I don't recall if it's 2 or 4, but even if it's only 2, you can work miracles with an expression pedal + the modwheel and those 2 layers.

kerry

sorry. I tried to post a link for appassionata strings 2.

Go Back to forum