• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: MIR it's arrived

Share/Bookmark

MIR it's arrived

blimey - so many questions

http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/393/1165.vsl
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Re: MIR it's arrived

Just to add some info, I was told at NAMM by the VSL rep that MIR will require an i7 processor. I don't know if it will RUN on a lower processor, but he told me it would be the minimum requirement.

Also, the download version will be just over $1000 US dollars, with the boxed version around $1500 or so.

Maybe not what everyone was expecting, but still better than a dedicated hardware system at least. This definitely won't be for the hobby market.

Keep in mind that all of this could change. But that is what I was told directly by the press contact(which is who I normally deal with).

Brent

Also don't forget an additional dedicated puter. Still, this will be a must have if you are delivering final files (sample based sounds) for projects IMHO.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I'm excited about MIR as well. I haven't heard any demos yet. Of course, how it makes the samples sound --and if it's enough of a difference from Altiverb/hardware verb to cause me to add MIR to the mix-- will determine weather it's worth buying another computer and MIR. In other words, there's going to have to be a significant reason to make that purchase for me. I do hope it does make that difference, though!!

Mahlon

Oh yea - this is your lucky day. Listen to this and freaking be amazed.

half way down the page (NS - please remove link if this is not ok to post)

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/...px?PageIndex=3

(the Zara stereo is the next level for sure)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

If you're running this on a dedicated computer, would you have to run each instrument track separately into that computer? That could be pretty difficult and expensive, since a lot of times I use 32+ instruments.

If you're just planning on running everything in using a single track, then MIR is probably overkill, because the whole idea is that each source has a slightly different reverb depending on its position/orientation in the room. If you run everything into your dedicated computer already mixed together, it wouldn't allow you to apply that kind of nuance to your individual instruments, and I wouldn't see the point of using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalenik View Post
    If you're running this on a dedicated computer, would you have to run each instrument track separately into that computer? That could be pretty difficult and expensive, since a lot of times I use 32+ instruments.

If you're just planning on running everything in using a single track, then MIR is probably overkill, because the whole idea is that each source has a slightly different reverb depending on its position/orientation in the room. If you run everything into your dedicated computer already mixed together, it wouldn't allow you to apply that kind of nuance to your individual instruments, and I wouldn't see the point of using it.
    I would imagine that you can run into MIR via Network.

D

I would agree with Daryl as VE3 is doing this successfully now (audio and midi routing via network.)
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott View Post
    I would agree with Daryl as VE3 is doing this successfully now (audio and midi routing via network.)
    For mixing, the latency should not be a problem. For live playing; ouch.....!

D

I don't get the impression that MIR has been designed/optimized for live use, but I could be wrong.

Btw: when they said it would require an I7, did they mean "all to itself" or "on the same computer as the sequencer"? I ask because even though they have been talking about a dedicated computer this whole time, remarks like that seemed a little more ambiguous.

Go Back to forum