• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ae Fond Kiss

Share/Bookmark

Ae Fond Kiss

Thanks everyone who has listened and commented on this. I discovered I had made a fundamental mistake with the Altiverb plug-in. I wanted intimacy, but not that much. I have now hopefully fixed it and here is the new link:
    http://www.box.net/shared/mtgfut4uby

This new piece is my rendering of an old tune that I discovered recently when reading some Robert Burns poetry. As I now have learned, he wrote his poem in 1791 and it was set to an old air known as Rory Dall's Port (air) which dated from the early 1600's.
    My piece is closely related to a version by Karen Matheson and Paul Brady which can be viewed on youtube. I heartily recommend their heartfelt performance. Here is the link to their video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzXTebD5X0

I have tried to capture what I heard in their voices.
    My band for this tune consists of the Garritan Auth. Steinway, a pair of Gorfriller cellos, generic guitar and stand-up bass samples, and two instruments from BelaDMedia, the beautiful low whistle and the quirky concertina with all the button noises, bellow wheezes, and creaking straps intact. I used Altiverb IR's and Sonar.
    This one needs to get out into the world and be heard. I feel like I have made some progress recently and am beginning to understand a bit more. I hope this is enjoyed and as always, look forward to your comments and suggestions. John

http://www.box.net/shared/ancjn0avef

Last edited by bigears; 01-16-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: new link

Re: Ae Fond Kiss

Very touching setting. I purposely didn't watch the youtube clip - I wanted to the music to come to my ears with no expectations ( if that makes sense). I have always had a soft spot for this kind of music , and this type of arrangement - the modal, and at times angular harmonies, the concurrent-but-different versions of the melody at the same time, and the instrumentation. This was really well done. Perhaps a touch more reverb? perhaps...Such a poignant piece!

Lovely.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

John:

Ae lovely rendition it is.........Really enjoyed the "Scottish"
    sound you produced with your instrumentation.

Robert Burns was such a talented writer and poet. It's too
    bad he didn't spend more time with us, but neither did Mozart,
    Chopin, and some other young musical giants.

Really enjoyed your piece, John

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi John,

I listened to the track you put up....then I went and watched and listened to the video, didn't even get half way through it......I went back to yours.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Really beautiful, Big Ears

The best part is that the results sound organic, because you obviously approached it that way. This isn't the result of inserting notes with a mouse, but by feeling your way through the song, performing it - no matter by what means you did it.

The only thing I was wishing for by the time the MP3 was coming to an end, was that you would have let the instruments fly more in a legato way. The hesitation in the phrasing is maintained throughout, perhaps emulative of the vocal version you based it on. It could have soared a bit more in the second half, do you think perhaps?

You've kept the reverb very intimate and I liked that. Sure, it could be done in a larger space, but I like your choice.

I'm with Hippie - I found your version more interesting.

Thank you very much for this touching piece.

Randy B.

On my third time through right now, and I'm sure there'll be more...

I love the...well, I'll use Randy's word...the intimate (and very subtle) reverb. I feel like I'm sitting in someone's living room listening to them play - possibly in Edinburgh. This is the very reason I stopped punching notes into a piano roll - to try and get this kind of feel. Put the humanity back in it.

Deeply moving performance, incredibly authentic. And a beautiful recording.

By the way, what are the "generic" guitar and bass samples? I don't know if it's just the way you mixed it, but they really sound good.

-TC

ps. That's four times now, I think, and counting.

I'm with Hippie - after I listened toyour version, I went to the youtube vid; didn't make it too far. Really liked yours better. I know the vid was your inspiration, but hey, sometimes the kids outpace the parents (so to speak).
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi, I have just hopefully corrected a mistake with the reverb. I have posted the new link now. Thanks for listening and your suggestions. I agree with Randy that it could easily have moved into a nice slow waltz feel towards the ending. It seems like it starts to a couple of times and then backs off again.
    I hope this new version sits the ensemble in a little bigger room. John

John

This is still an intimate setting and rightly so for a piece such as this. I also like your version better, but then I am not big into vocals.

You really got a Scottish feel out of the cello.

You said you understand a bit more... Were you talking about the poem or the process of making the music?

If it is the poem, I think as we get older we finally begin to understand and find an appreciation for poetry that the younger generations cannot.

Very nice

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I think this is about as close as you get to sitting in
    the room with the players, John. Very well done --
    I've listened through this several times, and it grows
    on me more and more, the more I listen to it.

In subdued tones so as not to break the wonderful
    melancholy of this...

Bravo!

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast