• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Can't hear the notes in piano roll view

Share/Bookmark

Can't hear the notes in piano roll view

I'm using GPO in Sonar and am finding I often can't hear the notes when I click them with the mouse in PRV. Sometimes it seems to work, but sometimes not. Extremely frustrating when trying to edit, obviously. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help with this!

Re: Can't hear the notes in piano roll view

Make sure that you set a CC#01 level at the beginning of your music file in each track. I usually use an initial level of about 75.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry, thanks. I tried that but still no sound...

Janet -

Step through what you're doing. Lots of us use SONAR, and help is just around the corner.

Joe

Hello again, Janet

I think you must be using the wrong tool. If you use the first tool on the left, that's the selection tool that you use to delete or move notes around with, but it doesn't play the note. The second tool is the one you'll use most in Piano Roll - That sounds the notes and is what you use to edit length.

Randy B.

Yes, Randy I'm using the right tool. It works fine when I use DimPro and it actually works sometimes when I use GPO.

Joe-I have a midi track with the output to the Kontakt player, choose violin (or piano, or whatever). Sometimes it plays and sometimes it doesn't. Still trying to figure that one out. Once it gets working, I can hear it fine when I hit play. I go to PRV and insert CC:11 so I can edit the velocities. (I'm trying to learn the other midi tools available, like cc 20, etc., but that's a different story.) I just now tried inserting CC:1 and over on the left, in the controller pane, I clicked my mouse on 75 like Larry suggested. But still no sound.

Thanks you guys! I was hoping this wasn't going to be as difficult as learning Sonar was, but I shoulda known. I do appreciate your help!!!

OK, I just tried moving the mod wheel in the kontakt interface and that seems to work now. Thanks again for your help, guys! I'm sure I'll be back!

HI, Janet

Moving the mod wheel in the Kontakt player won't keep the volumes up in your project. That's only for auditioning sounds. You have to have mod wheel, cc1, recorded in your tracks.

Also, in Sonar, you MUST go to the "Project" tab under Options--and there on the MIDI tab UN check the "re-set controllers" option. If you leave that on, which is the default, every time you stop sound will stop because cc1 will have been re-set to Zero.

"... I go to PRV and insert CC:11 so I can edit the velocities..."

CC11 has nothing to do with velocities. Velocity is the strength, on a scale of 0 to 127, of how hard you've played the notes. If you want to edit Velocities in the Piano Roll View, you have to have one of the controller pane windows set to display Velocities.

Randy

OK, thanks, Randy. That will help tremendously! I have to reset that for every project? So cc 11 is different with GPO? Wow--something else to learn....

Hello again - That default setting in Cakewalk programs is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for new Garritan users. Yes, whenever you start a project, on a routine basis you need to make sure that the "re-set controllers" option is un-checked.

If you always start new projects by first calling up a template, then of course that would need to be part of that template.

Do you have the hard copy of GPO's manual? It's really very thorough. When I first got GPO, I devoured that first, and it certainly made things much easier for me as I started working in Sonar.

"... cc 11 is different with GPO? Wow--something else to learn..."

CC11 is "expression" in standard MIDI. It's completely apart from Velocity.

CC1 is expression/volume for the Brass, Strings and Winds in GPO. The percussion instruments, Piano included, have their volume controlled only by Velocity - how hard you hit the keys.

If you're not using a MIDI keyboard, then you'll need to do a lot of Velocity editing to make sure there's a natural variety, rarely two notes in a row with the same values.

Do your new posts mean that the reason you weren't always hearing instruments was because CC1 kept turning off?

Randy

Go Back to forum