• Register
  • Help

Topic: NAMM: Garritan ARIA on Intel Atom CPU-Based Netbooks: The Next Killer Music App?

Share/Bookmark

NAMM: Garritan ARIA on Intel Atom CPU-Based Netbooks: The Next Killer Music App?

Garritan ARIA on Intel® Atom Processor-Based Netbooks: The Next Killer Music App?

NAMM Convention, Anaheim, CA (January 15, 2009) At the NAMM Convention, Garritan is showing its ARIA Sample Player and Software Instruments running on the new compact Netbook computers.

Garritan has taken a lightweight approach to its award-winning soundware for many years and this makes it’s Libraries particularly well suited for Netbooks. Garritan libraries have focused on a small-footprint with expressive controller-based programming, rather than dependence on massive, disk-intensive sample content.

Netbooks or MIDs ("Mobile Internet Devices") are small in size and cost but huge in popularity. One of the major success stories of 2008 -- industry experts expect Netbooks to grow 60% by 2010. The explosive growth of Netbooks combined with Garritan’s efficient approach to soundware makes for a compelling tool for music creativity. With the use of Garritan software instruments, MIDs can now become “Musical Instrument Devices"-- small, self-contained, inexpensive music systems.

Garritan firmly believes Netbooks will usher in a new wave of innovative and inexpensive solutions for musicians. Netbooks are attractive to musicians for a variety of reasons:

• Portability: The form factor of a Netbook is very small and very lightweight (usually 2 to 3 pounds); making it a very mobile platform for the musician on the go.
    • Ruggedness and Endurance: Netbooks, especially with solid state drives, are natively designed to take the rigors of portability gracefully... plus, they typically have extended battery life compared to many notebooks.
    • Affordability: The costs of Netbooks are very low, and so are the costs of Garritan soundware libraries. With price points between $300-$500 -- a Netbook is almost an impulse buy.
    • Noiseless Solid State Drives: Many Netbooks are now optimized with SSDs (solid state drives). There are no distractions with noisy hard drives or fans. This means a quieter environment in which to hear and work with Garritan soundware.
    • Convenience: Netbooks with Garritan soundware enable you to make music anywhere. A Netbook can be a small satellite music workstation for the professional musician, or incredibly handy when taking a flight, or on your nightstand ready for that nocturnal inspiration. It can be a perfect classroom companion for the music student, or hook up your MIDI controller and play live at a gig. You can literally "take it with you" -- so composing and performing anywhere becomes a reality not just a dream.
    • Powerful Enough to Run Music Apps: The new Intel® Atom processor is small, but powerful enough to run some of today's sequencers and notation programs that host Garritan soundware.

Thanks to the powerful and efficient ARIA playback engine (powered by Plogue Technologies) playing Garritan sounds on netbooks computers are possible. This ARIA engine and Garritan sounds have been extensively industry tested and are already in use in products by Microsoft, SONY, AKAI, MakeMusic (Finale) and other first tier industry leaders. Garritan/ARIA soundware is currently running on Windows XP; and tests for Windows 7 and Linux are being assessed.

Please note that the performance of a Netbook will not rival that of a standard desktop or laptop computer. Power-users will need more resources than Netbooks offer, especially when running simultaneous music apps, numerous tracks, or processor-intensive plug-ins; however, for many lower-intensity music uses, a Netbook is ideal.

An ideal combination of a low-cost, compact portable platform and Garritan's renowned soundware -- Garritan ARIA soundware running on Netbooks could very well be the next killer music app.

Re: Garritan ARIA on Intel Atom Processor-Based Netbooks: The Next Killer Music App?

Does the EWI-USB running Aria work well on the Atom Netbooks?
    Last edited by brooster; 01-16-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Garritan ARIA on Intel Atom Processor-Based Netbooks: The Next Killer Music App?

Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post
    The Atom processor is great for some uses but will never replace a full on multi core piece of hardware. I've been trying out some Atom based motherboards with a variety of operating systems and so far I'm impressed bearing in mind the limitations.

Running a Mac on this thing is irrelevant to me, it's not an OS I want to run on any hardware platform but I suspect it will fill a niche quite nicely and make available the Mac OS to people who could not afford it otherwise.

You need a DAW then you pay for the best that you can get, you just want a machine to surf the net and get email then the cheaper alternatives like Atom will do a great job. Having said that I have an Atom board running some of the most demanding music apps you will come across and it's performing excellently but I suspect you won't see this anytime soon from mainstream system builders and I'm gonna keep it a secret how I achieved this anyway.

Bottom line - I can't fault the Atom processor in any way and I'm looking forward to new developments and having a look at what the competition come up with as alternatives.

Last year about 100,000 netbooks were sold, by 2010 11 million are expected to be sold, this baby isn't going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    The Atom processor is great for some uses but will never replace a full on multi core piece of hardware. I've been trying out some Atom based motherboards with a variety of operating systems and so far I'm impressed bearing in mind the limitations.

Running a Mac on this thing is irrelevant to me, it's not an OS I want to run on any hardware platform but I suspect it will fill a niche quite nicely and make available the Mac OS to people who could not afford it otherwise.

You need a DAW then you pay for the best that you can get, you just want a machine to surf the net and get email then the cheaper alternatives like Atom will do a great job. Having said that I have an Atom board running some of the most demanding music apps you will come across and it's performing excellently but I suspect you won't see this anytime soon from mainstream system builders and I'm gonna keep it a secret how I achieved this anyway.

Bottom line - I can't fault the Atom processor in any way and I'm looking forward to new developments and having a look at what the competition come up with as alternatives.

Last year about 100,000 netbooks were sold, by 2010 11 million are expected to be sold, this baby isn't going away.

Sounds like my ex wives and their attorneys ......................

..........I need a drink! LOL
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Sounds like my ex wives and their attorneys ......................

..........I need a drink! LOL
    You have my sympathy and I'll join you with that drink...

Go Back to forum