• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Movie Music Challenge #5 - First Ever with Video!

Share/Bookmark

Movie Music Challenge #5 - First Ever with Video!

Hello everyone,
    I am honored to present the first Movie Music Challenge with video! I hope you enjoy my selection. You are being asked to supply music to this clip from the 1950 production of Cyrano de Bergerac, starring Jose Ferrer, directed by Michael Gordon, and produced by Stanley Kramer.

EDIT: Karen Kramer has given us the go-ahead for using the clip in this contest, and I will be receiving an official release form from her very soon. If you are a contestant, PM me if you would like to view a copy.

Cyrano de Bergerac, the honorable and virtuous soldier-poet with the well recognized tragic flaw of his enormous nose, has just disrupted a play in the local theatre. The actor on stage is a decadent man and a womanizer who has eyes for Cyrano's love, Roxanne. Vicomte de Valvert, a noble in lieu with the partron of the actor, has decided to stand up against Cyrano for his disruption of the playhouse. After an exchange of words, the Vicomte accepts Cyrano's open challenge to a duel. Cyrano prepares himself, and adds a twist: He states he will recite a ballade, made up on the spot during the duel, and when he reaches the end of the refrain, he claims he will "thrust home!"

Download Here - New Files - WMV Format now available, please post or PM with any other conversion requests.

MPEG-4 (.mp4)
    http://www.box.net/shared/5aspayivon

Quicktime Movie File (.mov)
    http://www.box.net/shared/xgzd4x55mb

Windows Media Video (.wmv)
    http://www.box.net/shared/3naag5xt5g

Original Video Source: http://www.archive.org/details/Cyrano_DeBergerac_ipod

The Rules:

1) Your entry should have substantially been created using Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Strad, Gofriller, Marching Band, etc. – if there are etc’a).

2) You must use the video clip in its entirety, "as is," without editing.

3) You may enter as many times as you'd like, as long as each entry is substantially different.

4) The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on the NSS forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.

5) The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honor of setting the next Challenge.

6) The Challenge Setter may enter his or her own Challenge. (Please read, yes, he or she may enter their own contest. Why not? Everyone has all the same info.)

7.) The challenge setter and participants should keep their file sizes down to facilitate potability.

Deadline: Friday, March 13th

NEW ENTRY SUBMISSION AND HOSTING SITUATION

Send your video files to moviemusic@tylerrusco.com

If this does not work, send an email to the same address and we will work out a way for you to get your file submitted.

ENTRY FORMAT - NEW

Format: .mov, .wmv, or .mp4 - PM if there's a problem
    Resolution: 320 x 240
    Video Bitrate: 256 kbps
    Audio: 192 kbps Constant Bitrate 44.1 kHz Mp3

Re: Movie Music Challenge #5 - First Ever with Video!

Ah, this will be fun!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hi Sonare Coeli

"Cyrano" is a great movie, so a superb choice for the contest.

I do have a question though. I know you found the footage at a site that says it's public domain material, but I don't understand how a film only 58 years old, especially a famous well-regarded one as this, can have its copyright expired already.

This isn't meant as an argument with you, Sonare, you chose this clip in good faith, and maybe it is OK.

But I have never understood why so many films are being claimed to be in the public domain when according to copyright law, that shouldn't be the case.

Does someone with more copyright savvy than me know the answer?

EDIT: From an admittedly short Googling on the subject, what I'm finding is that the copyright on Any motion picture is 75 years at minimum---making 2025 the earliest year "Cyrano" could become public domain. Am I incorrect?

SECOND EDIT:
    Oh well. I guess I'm being a worry-wort. Wikipedia says this film is now in the public domain. I still don't know how it could be according to copyright law - ? - I was surprised to see something newer than 1920 put up. There are films even older than 1920 which are apparently still under copyright protection, depending on how active the estates of deceased creators are.

SO - Wiki says it's fine--guess it is. -- ? -- (still wouldn't mind hearing from someone who may know more about all this than I do.)

Randy B.

If the copyright was owned by some company and the company went out of business without any other company buying the rights to their films, I suppose it might go into public domain...

Or perhaps since it was made in 1950, the copyright owners would've had to renew their copyright to extend the protection, but they didn't, so it went into public domain...

Or perhaps it is technically still copyright by someone or some company somewhere, but they don't know it or don't really care...

But I'm sure we'll be fine.

Works before 1920 I would think should be in public domain by now though, I think some companies mislead people. A local music teacher asked me once if I had the rights to use Pachelbel's Canon because some publisher had told her they owned the copyrights. I thought she was joking and burst out laughing, and then saw she was serious and explained to her that they might own copyrights to a certain arrangement or something, but the Canon itself is certainly not copyright... some evil publishers are making way too much money by scaring music teachers, methinks.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Hi, Sean - Thanks for the input.

Well, it was a Stanley Kramer production, the studio was Hal Roach Studios. Those are both huge names in show business, Kramer's films still raking in the dough, and Hal Roach releases their films on DVD.

Copyright law is so confusing because it changed in the 1970's and again in the 1990's. But according to what I read today, the most recent revision of copyright law, as applied to films, guarantee that the original copyright is good for 75 years Without the need for renewal.

Wikipedia says "Cyrano" is public domain, and I couldn't find anything else that directly refutes that--But I wonder where they got their information, or if it's really correct?

I guess we're OK - I'm just not convinced this major film which is still licensed for DVD production is really in the domain--butttt---There we go, guess we're OK for the purposes we're using the clip here.

Randy

I have to say this looks like an excellent selection!

Jon

Randy,

Thank you for your concern. I hadn't thought about that when I selected it. I saw "public domain" and went with it. I know it sounds a little strange, but every indication that I've seen marks this work as PD, including the Creative Commons License that is provided on the source website.

Here's another thing to think about. Wikipedia is openly editable, so if it were claimed to be public domain on Wikipedia when it was in fact not, it would be in the company's best interest to change that status, so that their movie could not be distributed for free. It still says public domain, and I have not seen any warning otherwise.

I do agree with you, Randy, I would like some authoritative evidence on the subject. I'll continue to search.

Jon,

I'm glad you enjoyed the selection, I can't wait to see what you and other members of the forum do with it!

Hi, Sonare - Thanks for tolerating my jumpiness. My alarms go off with copyright matters because of various scary experiences I've gone through--tales for another day.

I've noticed that "Cyrano" does seem to be listed as Public Domain at more than just Wikipedia, so we should probably just leave it at that. If our little project involving this clip stirs up trouble, we can point to the online sites that assured us it was all right to use.

SO--I say we just go full steam ahead.

AND I have to say it really is an excellent choice, since it has good, meaty text, a legendary performance from Ferrer, and you managed to find a good scene without musical underscoring--It's perfect!

Remember "Roxanne," Steve Martin's modern day take off on "Cyrano"-?--that was a fun movie too.

Thanks, Sonare.

Randy

Yeah, I can't even find who originally owned the copyright to the film, or why it's in public domain now... but I think if a company owned it and wanted to protect it, it wouldn't be on archive.org in first place...

And a lot of public domain films (and books for that matter) are still published and sold in physical form, usually with no sign on them that they're actually in public domain, so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Found this just a minute ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Cyrano-Bergera...2160696&sr=8-2

It's a DVD of this same production of Cyrano de Bergerac made by a studio called Public Domain Flicks. I think that's good enough.

Go Back to forum