• Register
  • Help

Topic: Three Scenes of Winter - Authorized Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Three Scenes of Winter - Authorized Steinway

Hey everyone,

I just downloaded the basic version of the Authorized Steinway. I must say, that it blew me away. I played with it for about 10 minutes, then became inspired.

It has been extremely cold here in Dayton, Ohio the past few days. Yesterday, the high was -3 and the lows dipped down to -15, without wind chills. Needless to say, one of my cars won't start and my son has been shut up indoors, staying home from day care the past two days.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after messing with the Steinway for a few minutes, I wrote this piece. It's in three short movements.

I. First Snow Fall in the Woods
    II. Midnight in the Dead of Winter
    III. The Sun Rising Over a Field of Ice and Snow

Here's the link:

Three Scenes of Winter

I wrote and recorded this yesterday using Sibelius 5 and the basic version of the Steinway.

I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think.

Have a good day, my friends.

Stay warm!!

Jonny (Where the blazes is the sun??!!) Lost
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Three Scenes of Winter - Authorized Steinway

Hi, I enjoyed hearing your expressions of encountering the Garritan Steinway for the first time. It's becoming a stimulating and creative part of a lot of folks kits. I think I liked the first piece and the last piece the most. The crescendo in the final one just kept building and building. Hope you didn't hurt yourself! Thanks for sharing, John

I liked your piano movements. An introspective performance.

We had some sun today with out the snow. It feels like spring is on the way up here in the PNW.

The basic G. Steinway sounds good.

Phil

Hey Guys,

Thanks for listening and for the comments. As a strange side note, right after posting this yesterday, I get hit with some strange flu virus. I can't even explain the way it mad me feel. Luckily for me, however, I heal pretty quick.

Oh well.

Jonny

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Jonny

Isn't it a great Library? I honestly think tthis piano is the best on the market at any price.

Your piece definitely has that winter feel to it and I enjoyed it.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

This is Sibelius??? This definitely doesn't sound like notation! As an exclusive notation user, I'm starting to really consider buying the Steinway...

These pieces are amazing! They really depict the scenes well. Wonderful work!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Thanks Ron and Daniel for the comments.

For some reason, the idea of open chord structures always make me think of winter. You would think that it would conjure up images of Copland-esque praries, but not in my mind. Oh well. :-)

Yes Daniel, this was written and recorded directly from Sibelius 5. I did absolutely no tweaking or anything. I used the included Ballroom 1 convolution reverb in Aria.

I was pretty amazed at the sound quality myself. I have a film project that's coming up that I know I am going to use this Steinway on. I can't wait.

Have a good night.
    Jonny

Jonny,

Nice set of moods, here. The second one is particular wintry - cold and still; you capture it well. The third one built beautifully from the opening chords; perhaps a little more on the descending side at the end?

Really nice tryptich - this would be very effective with images, although you probably already know that.

Nice work - good to hear that Sibelius plays nice with the Steinway!

Hope you are feeling better.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi, Jonny - It's great to hear some music from you, and these were a special treat indeed. I have No idea how you could write and record this in one day. Guess you weren't kidding about how the Steinway inspired you! - I don't get why some people aren't finding it just The Best virtual Piano available.

Beautiful stuff. I think the dynamic range may be too broad - I could hardly hear the soft passages and had to turn it down for the loudest. AH well, I'm not listening right now in very ideal circumstances.

Thanks, had a great time.

Randy

Wow.

Inspiring stuff!!
    The GAS does sound amazing and i have to agree that it doesnt sound like Sibelius notation

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Go Back to forum