• Register
  • Help

Topic: M-Audio Axiom Pro

Share/Bookmark

M-Audio Axiom Pro

I wonder if these new controllers will be useful? Will the HyperControl work? How will the keys feel?

In my case, for controlling Cubase and Spectrasonics plugins - Omnisphere and Stylus RMX. I've never used any M-Audio products.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Re: M-Audio Axiom Pro

I saw the guy use it to demo Protools 8 at Digidesign booth... seems like he can do everything on PT8 with it (Axiom pro)
    I then try it at M-Audio Booth, I don't like the keyboard action, the LCD seem hard to read, the overall build is a little better than the original Axiom
    But the features will be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lougheed View Post
    I wonder if these new controllers will be useful? Will the HyperControl work? How will the keys feel?

In my case, for controlling Cubase and Spectrasonics plugins - Omnisphere and Stylus RMX. I've never used any M-Audio products.

Lawrence
    Lawrence,

Based on my online research & at this particular juncture,Cubase is one of the few DAWS that are exclusively compatible with the new Axiom series,as well as Pro Tools,Logic & Reason....at least for now.

As I understand it,the HyperControl is simply a automatic mapping system that requires little or no programming(depending on your application(s) and that the aformentioned software programs work seamlessly with the Axiom Pro,so you basically can just plug & play,while also minimizing or eliminating the use of your mouse.
    The keybed of the Axion Pro is semi-weighted & the 49 key version is almost 7 pounds heavier than the previous Axiom series 49 key,so that should give you a fairly decent idea of the feel of the key action...beyond that,you really should test one out first or buy from an online retailer with a flexible return policy(just some food for thought).

-Philo

Quote Originally Posted by dsstudio View Post
    I saw the guy use it to demo Protools 8 at Digidesign booth... seems like he can do everything on PT8 with it (Axiom pro)
    I then try it at M-Audio Booth, I don't like the keyboard action,
    Dsstudio,

Dude....don't mean to get snippy with you or anything,but telling some you don't like the feel of a keybed without explaining why,is of no help to anyone-whatsoever.
    That is to say-for example,you're particular preference for key-action-feel may be a lighter "synth" style action,as supposed to a true semi -weighted action feel,which Lawrence may be more receptive to.
    It only makes sense to specify WHY you don't like the key action...with particulars such as say...the weighted action is light but very springy,or that the action is closer to a hammer weighted action.

I've heard good things about the old Axiom key action,so when M-Audio describes the Axiom Pro key action as having a "piano-style" semi-weighted feel to the keybed,I take that as a good sign & a notable improvement-because for me personally,I happen to prefer a happy medium between synth-style action & hammer weighted action and in consideration of the price difference & overall weight of the controller,I feel confident in buying an Axiom Pro,even without trying it out first.

However though,I would never buy a product from anyone who did not offer an unconditional 30 day return policy-especially so,in light of the fact that the new Axiom series is roughly twice the price of the old Axiom series and from my experiences,you get what you pay for with M-Audio.....because their ultra-cheap monitors & controllers are crap.

-Philo

If you are an experience keyboard player, try it and you'll know what I mean... Keybed is a personal choice, it may good for you but not for me, you'll never go wrong with big name like Roland, Yamaha... M audio controller, I don't know how to describe but when I play... I don't feel right, in fact, I feel it's really cheap...(You find an old Roland D50 and play it again, you'll agree that Keybed for synth should be like that)
    As for the Axion pro, no, it's not "piano style - semi" at all... it's feel just like some ordinary desktop controller synth action out there these day like Novation, Alesis, Akai etc.. nothing special... not the same class as Motif, Fantom, Oasys etc
    I praised Axiom pro for the feature.. it prove that I am a neutral user
    Sonny

The manual is now available at the M-Audio website. From reading it, it looks effective for controlling Cubase, but I'm not so sure about how well it will control plugins.

Lawrence

PS - I agree, though, that "try before you buy" is the best policy.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Go Back to forum