• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A couple of EWI questions

Share/Bookmark

A couple of EWI questions

I just got the USB-EWI this afternoon, and am having teething problems. So far I've just tried things out on the family laptop, so that I know what I'm doing when I install it on my DAW.

I realise there are probably more appropriate forums, but I figured that the fact it includes Garritan sounds means there are probably experienced users here.

1) The AKAI website decribed the EWI as a USB plug and play compliant device. I was hoping that this meant the same as it did with my PPG-3 pedal - i.e. that I could just plug it in, and it would appear as a MIDI device in my sequencer. Sadly this turned out not to be the case. I'm assuming that drivers are needed after all (although when I plugged the device in prior to installing the software, my laptop didn't make the usual fuss about having detected new hardware, which is stange). I was wondering if there is a way to install these drivers without installing the ARIA player. Everything seems to happen in one install package - and it seemed to be compulsory to install at least the standalone ARIA player.

2) I had a lot of problems getting any performance at all out of it, even after installing ARIA. At first it defaulted to one note, no matter how I changed my fingering - then switched to a different note, but stuck to that one for the next ten minutes. I tried all the solutions suggested by AKAI, including hand lotion, but to no avail. Then, suddenly, without me changing anything, I could change the note, but only by removing fingers of the right hand. Once I got up to an F that was it - removing fingers of the left hand made no difference. I was just about to give up when the whole range suddenly started working, again for no obvious reason. Obviously I'm happy that it eventually worked, but I'm concerned that this might turn out to be a behaviour that is repeated. Did anyone else get anything similar happening?

3) After playing around for a couple of hours I still haven't managed to get the top octave (by removing the thumb from the top octave roller). The bottom one works. Has anyone else found this difficult?
    David

Re: A couple of EWI questions

Try these sites out. You will have to register to read and post to the forums.

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/forum/

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/windcontroller/

Can anyone confirme that EWI USB works on vista 64??? I can't find any info on this on their webpage.

hi, ive got one myself..
    1. not sure , dont remember anymore what i installed.. it does show up as a usb controller in my daw. i just installed the cd that came with it. i am on a mac.

2. didnt have that problem.. sometimes the aria software doesnt recognize my ewi atall.. what i needed to do was go into the ewi prefferences and check to boxes that said ewi.. for input and output.
    Maybe too obvious.. but you need to keep your thumb on the rollers at all times. if you dont it will only play one note..

3. you cant get a top octave by removing your thumb,, you always have to have your thumb on atleast one roller.
    so the top octave is played by holding your thumb on the toproller only. not touching the one next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartp View Post

3. you cant get a top octave by removing your thumb,, you always have to have your thumb on atleast one roller.
    so the top octave is played by holding your thumb on the toproller only. not touching the one next to it.
    Thanks bartp. I'm still not quite clear on this one. The manual suggests that you get an extra octave at each end by removing your thumb. I think they probably mean just relieving the pressure on the roller, whilst still maintaining a loose contact with it and the ground plate. It worked great for me at the bottom end, but not the top. I may have to re-examine exactly how I'm holding my thumbs - everything is very touch-sensitive, and I often find I'm making light contacts in places I don't know about.
    David

no..
    the tumbrollers are not pressure sensitive.. just touch sensitive.
    The thumb should be inbetween 2 rollers to get an octave.. only the upper and lower one can be touched alone.. giving you an extra octave.. so there is like 5 octaves.

the manual is wrong if it states this..
    how would the ewi know if you dont touch any rollers which otave you are going for .. the higest one or the lowest one?

i had to get used to the sensitivity aswell.. but it plays great after some practise.

The sounds included are not that good however... very little tweeking possiblilities unfortunately.

an other thing:

for some reason you just can't jump to octaves very well.
    atleast i am having this problem.
    if you play a low octave and jump to the higest. it wont play it..
    you have to roll towards it. touching the other rollers.
    i find this annoying.

so maybe thats why your higest octave is harder to play.
    try playing an octave below that first and then the higest one.

Quote Originally Posted by bartp View Post
    an other thing:

for some reason just can jump to octaves very well.
    atleast i am having this problem.
    if you play a low octave and jump to the higest. it wont play it..
    you have to roll towards it. touching the other rollers.
    i find this annoying.

so maybe that's why your highest octave is harder to play.
    try playing an octave below that first and then the higest one.
    Matt, at Patchman Music, references a "roller mod" that he does on the EWIs he sells. Unfortunately, he was on an extended vacation when I tried to order one from him . . . so I only talked to his voice mail several times. However, as was suggested earlier, the forum he sponsors might have some answers on this.

With respect to the manual, I noted a post in another part of the forum [http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64155] where a disgruntled EWI user voiced numerous concerns which seem to me to point to a less then stellar manual production team at Akai. I think you may be going back and forth between Gary's team for tweaking ARIA and Akai's team for operation of the EWI.

Please keep posting your progress. I, for one, am definitely interested in what you find.

Joe

Hello to Everyone. I have purchased and EWI USB in recent days. I did connect to my computer witout troubles and everything is working fine. But when I tried to connect to my laptop, after of instal ARIA, this doesn´t recognize the EWI as MIDI imput device....I have tryed everything without results. I emailed to AKAI in order to report this issue, but without any answer yet.

Some of your have had the same trouble? Any suggestion??

Thanks in advance

Andres Eloy Rodriguez
    Venezuela

make sure that in the prefferences of the aria software ALL checkboxes that say ..ewi.. are checked.

There is more than one checkbox for the input/output.. this is not in the manual.

Go Back to forum