• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: USB or Firewire Interface

Share/Bookmark

OT: USB or Firewire Interface

Please forgive posting in perhaps the wrong forum, but I would like to seek advice about a audio intefraces for a DAW predominantly used for sample and VI based composing (so it is kinda linked).

I am having ongoing difficulties between my Firewire interface (TC Electronic Konnect) and my Graphics card. I know, in theory they are on different buses .. but they do disrupt each other (Sound on Sound wrote an article about this a few years ago). Well I am considering giving up on firewire and trying out USB 2.0.

Anyway, I would like to ask the forum whether any of them use USB 2.0 based interfaces?
    Do they find them more stable than firewire interfaces?
    Any problemsn or limitations I should be aware of?

Ideally I'd like one with an onboard reverb for good quality, zero CPU load monitoring purposes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

Re: OT: USB or Firewire Interface

you may have been just unlucky with the previous firewire interface. USB however, would be a step backwards. i would suggest you try a different firewire interface first.
    Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 18GB, Mac OS Leopard, MOTU Ultralite
    Logic Pro 9.x, Kontakt 4.x, EWQLSO Plat. XP plus, LASS and other libraries
    keyboards/synths old and new, and a well of inspiration :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
    you may have been just unlucky with the previous firewire interface. USB however, would be a step backwards. i would suggest you try a different firewire interface first.
    Actually I'm not sure that's as definite as it would seem on paper. SoundonSound have done some tests where USB2 has out-performed firewire for data transfer and latency. There's also the issue that firewire is essentially dead technology - if you want to keep the interface when you change your DAW then you might find it more difficult to spec a machine with a firewire interface.

Have you thought of PCI with a breakout box? I got sick of going round the back of my machine for everything, but wanted to keep the speed of PCI, so I bought an Echo Layla and am loving it. Obviously it doesn't have the advantage of just being able to move it to other machines at a moments notice, but, for heavy use, it massively outpaces both USB and Firewire.
    David

Running 5 USB2.0 here at BDM. Never a glitch.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

So what USB interfaces have you guys been using with success? I use a MOTU Traveler with a MacBook Pro, and I didn't think there was actually a comparable USB device.

Thank you for the replies so far.
    I think I will try a different video card first .. before giving up on the firewire sound card.
    Thanks
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

I used an Edirol UA-1000 USB 2 interface for 3 years and was able to transfer 16 tracks at low latency without a hitch. I would choose the audio interface that is right for you and not worry as much about if it uses USB or Firewire.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

I know USB 3.0 is headed our way with 600mb/s transfer, sounds yummy.
    As one of the others said, don't sweat it too much. Firewire and USB 2 are fine.

My feeling is that USB 3 will become somewhat of a standard.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Drew,

Assuming you're on PC,
    and the firewire is a firewire pci card.

Have you checked that the IRQ assignment for the firewire isn't being shared with the graphics card?

If you are using a desktop, I'd suggest neither and go with a PCI interface.

Go Back to forum