• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omni Bug with mixer volumes - please confirm

Share/Bookmark

Omni Bug with mixer volumes? - please confirm

Hello,
    I have a project with 1 instance of Omni with 6 patches.
    In the mixer view I try to adjust the volume of each patch but for some patches the decimal point is not showing.
    I would insert some pictures if I could but they're not uploaded to the net. Can I attach pictures from my HD?

It shows: -12.dB
    instead of: -12.4dB

If I play with the volume left and right it changes -11.dB -12.dB -13.dB

Please help...

Edit: A startling discovery - Up to -10dB I see the decimal number (-5.6dB -9.9dB and so on) but starting from -10dB I see -10.dB -11.dB and so on. Do you guys experience that also?

Re: Omni Bug with mixer volumes - please confirm

The textual display of the volume is limiting itself to 4 characters (including decmial point and minus sign). The internal software value for volume has much more precision than that. If you hold down shift key while adjusting the volume slider, it will give you finer granularity when you adjust the volume, even though the textual feedback is not showing it. The textual display should show an additional digit or two in the cases you illustrate, but until that happens, the current limited display does not affect the audio quality or slider movement.

The problem is that I have several tracks which I want to be at the same level (-12.4dB). I can't do that because I don't know what the exact volume levels are for these parts. I just see -12.dB and I can see that the sliders are just a little shifted from one another but can't determine their exact values.
    I've sent an email to Spectrasonics tech support. 1/18/09

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    The problem is that I have several tracks which I want to be at the same level (-12.4dB). I can't do that because I don't know what the exact volume levels are for these parts. I just see -12.dB and I can see that the sliders are just a little shifted from one another but can't determine their exact values.
    I've sent an email to Spectrasonics tech support. 1/18/09
    Can you set the Omni volumes all at 0dB, and then adjust the "final" volume in your host (where you can set it exactly at -12.4)?

That would seem a simple solution, unless there are other issues you haven't mentioned.

No, I can't do that because there are other Omni parts running which are at different volumes.

I'd like to know if others are experiencing the same thing or is it special to my system.

Pick a patch and go to the mixer window. Adjust the volume of that patch in the mixer and get it below -10dB. Try to set it at say -11.3dB. Can you do that or does it show -11.dB?

Dude,
    Neal explained the reason for this behaviour in his post.
    He is one of the developers. Trust him when he says that this is the way the software currently behaves.
    Tokyo Trains advice is good-simply route the parts to seperate outputs and use the automation in your DAW if you need a more precise readout.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    Dude,
    Neal explained the reason for this behaviour in his post.
    He is one of the developers. Trust him when he says that this is the way the software currently behaves.
    Tokyo Trains advice is good-simply route the parts to seperate outputs and use the automation in your DAW if you need a more precise readout.
    O.k. so first of all not only me is seeing it which is a relief.
    Now, the volume automation is a good idea. I tried setting the volume in the mixer of Cubase but since it is a midi track it did not have any affect on the volume. Using automation should solve it.

When you say
    this is the way the software currently behaves.
    does this mean that it will change in the future?

Tokyo train is right. The way to apply the same gain to any set of audio signals is to use a single audio fader. In any multi-timbral instrument, the way to do this is send the parts you want to be the same to the same output, for example "Output B". Then use the channel fader in the host to apply the same gain to the multiple parts.

- Glenn

O.k. I'll try that.
    Does anyone remember what the URL is for the updated Omni manual?

Go Back to forum