• Register
  • Help

Topic: kontakt (finale)

Share/Bookmark

kontakt (finale)

I think I've gotten all I can get out of the Finale help file and it clearly makes some assumptions. I'm relatively new at this and, in particular, I never had anything to do with sequencers before I downloaded Music Creator from Sonar a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone point me to some hotlinks or books where I could learn more about functions like those activated by "aux send" and "outputs" (related?)? My focus does remain using Finale as the host sequencer. It seems. I think. But then I don't know anything or, anyway, not nearly enough to know what I might like to do if I could envision it.

So, as I am past lining up the instruments in the right channels, keyswitching, and creating expressions for Kontakt's controllers.... anything that would help someone with next to zero foundational knowledge about the rest of this interface would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Jeanne
    Finale 2008, just bought GPO (mainly using Win XP Pro)

Re: kontakt (finale)

Hi Jeanne, I have a book entitled "Finale 2008 "A Trailblazer Guide" by Mark Johnson that goes about as deep into Finale as you would care to go. The other thing I could suggest is the Make Music forum,
    http://forum.makemusic.com/
    where you can find questions and answers about using Finale in your particular OS, and also searching youtube for some tutorials and examples that users have posted there. Best of luck, John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Jeanne, I have a book entitled "Finale 2008 "A Trailblazer Guide" by Mark Johnson that goes about as deep into Finale as you would care to go. The other thing I could suggest is the Make Music forum,
    http://forum.makemusic.com/
    where you can find questions and answers about using Finale in your particular OS, and also searching youtube for some tutorials and examples that users have posted there. Best of luck, John

Thank you, John. I've been away so sorry I didn't acknowledge your post sooner. I will look into the book forthwith. I brought the question here instead of to the Finale forum because the issue was more with Kontakt Player than with Finale itself -- tho I know I'd find expertise there too on Kontakt. Any thoughts about Kontakt and what I take it are broadly described as "effects" and the mechanics of using same in Kontakt will be gratefully accepted too.

Nonetheless, there are only a handful of Finale books and it's impossible for me to judge them when shopping on line, so your recommendation is valued.

Jeanne

Okay, with wikipedia's help, I just got a brainstorm and began reading up on the mixing (etc.) hardware that I've never actually seen in person let alone touched. This is slow-going because it's all new and all so abstract to me.

When I get back to Finale, I'll make sure I didn't miss anything really small and dumb. But after I played with a couple of faders and heard an effect in Kontakt, I couldn't get that sound into Finale. So that's where I started. I'm hoping the Johnson book will help but if you have any further thoughts (i.e., if I've explained myself better), that will be welcome.

Thank you very much for listening and offering a suggestion,

Jeanne

Hi again Jeanne, looks like I misunderstood your original question. I wasn't familiar with Music Creator so I looked it up and found a couple of videos. Have you seen any of the tutorials at youtube? Here is a link to one, then you can find some of the others:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymn1POGOw3s

So if I understand you correctly, you want to use Music Creator as your sequencer. I'm not clear if you are talking about Kontakt (the full sampler program) or the Kontakt Player that comes with GPO. Either one should load up as a soft synth or VST in the Music Creator program.

In Finale, you have the ability to play your creations through the Finale MIDI instruments, or you can choose to play through whatever VST instruments you have. If you haven't been able to do so, I can guide you through that.

I believe if you want to combine the three elements, you can either export a midi file from Finale and then import it into your sequencer program for editing. You can also save your file in Finale as an audio file, which can also be imported into the Music Creator program, although you won't have the editing possibilities once it's converted to audio.

I hope I'm not being redundant or boring you with stuff you already know. I just wanted to get a better understanding of what you want to know, or what in particular you are having problems with. Please be very specific and someone here can help. We all have so many different systems and setups with many different software and hardware components, so it's necessary to be quite specific. I'll try to watch this and give you whatever help I can, or direct you to someone who can help. John

Jeanne, I did a little looking around and found a Music Creator forum over at Cakewalk. Here's the link:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=18

So if I understand you correctly, you want to use Music Creator as your sequencer.
    No, I'm trying to learn more about functions like those activated by "aux send" and "outputs" in the Kontakt 2 Player that came with GPO. My focus does remain using Finale as a host sequencer for/with GPO sounds.

I took a stab at a couple of faders in Kontakt Player, heard an effect, but couldn't get that *MODIFIED* sound into Finale. There's no problem getting the basic, unmodified GPO instruments lined up to play in Finale. That works fine.

So, again, it's the Kontakt interface that is my problem. The Finale help file takes me only so far. It doesn't tell me about mixing, aux send, output, effects, and so on. (Again, I hope I'm (correctly) using the right vocab. to express my question.)

I mainly downloaded Music Creator to try to learn more (quite a bargain with a good help file to boot, btw) and to possibly address a couple of problems I wasn't resolving in Finale. But Music Creator is secondary in this discussion.

My real goal is maximizing/optimizing/mastering GPO in Finale (necessarily(?) thru Kontakt 2 Player).

Thank you for your patience,

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne, Sorry about my misunderstanding. There are a couple of things that I can suggest. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the forums at Native Instruments. There you could search the forum for a specific topic, or post a request for some help with KP2 and Finale.
    Also, you might have more luck if you posted in the Garritan section, under Personal Orchestra, Support and Technical. There are a lot of members who are avid Finale users who could probably help you right away.
    Here is a link to the MakeMusic forum for Finale/Windows users:
    http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5

Here is a link to NI and the tutorials for Kontakt page. You may have to register if you are not already. I think aspects of the Kontakt tutorials may help you with the KP2 and there is some good basic background material here: http://www.native-instruments.com/in...=tutorials&L=1

In the meantime, I will talk to a couple of people at Garritan and see if I can find someone who can be of better help. John

Hi Jeanne, I finally found something that I think will help you with KP2.
    This is from a tutorial DpDan worked up, I think it's the seventh one down in the thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=63030&page=2

Hi Jeanne, I finally found something that I think will help you with KP2.
    This is from a tutorial DpDan worked up, I think it's the seventh one down in the thread:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=63030&page=2

Thanks a bunch. I'm back home and will try to catch up with this this weekend. The tutorial looks interesting. So I have quite a bit of homework to do before I ask any questions here or elsewhere.

Best,

Jeanne

Go Back to forum