Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: VSL SE spec ?

Share/Bookmark

VSL SE spec ?

Hi there

(may be my first post)

Happy New Year everyone

Wondering if someone can help

I'm in the market for a new orch lib and I a now looking closely at the vsl stuff

I keep seeing references to VSL SE which seems to be a cut down 'basic' amalgamation by VSL of many of their high end seperate libs

This looks good for the money atm about £230/240
    Seems to have the most basic articulations etc

There is also VSL SE Extended Library. This apparently gives you 35 more instruments and is more bucks than the original SE

Now I see VSL SE Plus which seems to have only more articulations but cost as much as both of the above !

Many retailers no longer advertise the 'extended edition' and are selling the original SE and now SE Plus, sometimes both combined in a deal

Has Plus superceded the Extended edition - even on the VSL site there are no mentions of the Extended edtion any more !

Confused? Well , yes I am

Can anybody please explain how VSL are working this ?

Thanks in advance

Re: VSL SE spec ?

gsharp,

I too was looking for a new Orch library. I used EW Gold Pro XP for many years. I bought the VSL SE and then purchased the extended version a few months later. VSL SE is on their site for $465.00 and the extended add on is $625.00. I am a huge fan of VSL now. Not only the sound but the player is fantastic as well. I have had no problems with the software at all. I only wish I could afford more. If you can afford it, buy both the SE and extended packages to begin with. The extra 35 intruments in the extended package are great including the two articulations of Appasionatta Strings and basic articulations for Epic horns. From there you can decide if the SE Plus packages are what you need or you can purchase individual sections like Eppic Horns, Fanfare brass etc. Because you will own some of the samples from SE and SE Extended you can receive discounts on the new purchases, especially the downloadable ones.

The only sound I am not especially fond of in the VSL packages I own are the timpani. Compared to EW Gold they sound a little thin and less rich. Everything else shines. The woodwinds with real legato, the solo strings, the muted horns etc, etc. All top drawer instruments. Price can also be an issue with VSL. If you bought Woodwinds 1, Woodwinds 2 and Special Woodwinds it would set you back $3630.00. That kind of money can buy quite a few alternative libraries. Still, as they say, you get what you pay for.

Hope some of this helps you.

All the very best,

Darren

Link to SE and SE extended

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/982/983/292.htm
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Also, just a tip about the extended portion of their libraries -- aren't you able to use them for an extended demo period (like 180 days or something) before you actually need to purchase the extended license? It's a great way to try out the content.

+1 about the quality of the SE set (and all things Vienna) -- if you're investing in an orchestral library, this is the way to go -- you get sooooo much content for such a small price. And you don't have to worry about stability because that VI player is solid.

- kerry

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    gsharp,

I too was looking for a new Orch library. I used EW Gold Pro XP for many years. ....

Hope some of this helps you.

All the very best,

Darren
    Thanks Darren

I too had the EWql but cannot work with the inherent thick reverb on it any longer. I need more control over the basic sound from the ground up. Nice for some stuff but a bit limiting imo

I thought about Platinum but with the way East West is currently treating its customer base right now with the Play fiasco I will not part with hard earned for a company that does that ! .....so I'm auditioning every orch lib except eastwest atm

There's a lot out there now and I've narrowed it down to Kirk Hunter or VSL

Interestingly enough there's still no mention on the VSL site about SE extended but I do like the stability of their products and the mix engine of Ensemble2 / 3 too

It is not cheap but as you say you get what you pay for so I may well have to push the boat out on this

thnx anyways

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    Also, just a tip about the extended portion of their libraries -- aren't you able to use them for an extended demo period (like 180 days or something) before you actually need to purchase the extended license? It's a great way to try out the content.

+1 about the quality of the SE set (and all things Vienna) -- if you're investing in an orchestral library, this is the way to go -- you get sooooo much content for such a small price. And you don't have to worry about stability because that VI player is solid.

- kerry
    Kerry,

I believe the trial period is 20 days. (the fastest 20 days of your life! )

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsharp View Post
    Thanks Darren

I too had the EWql but cannot work with the inherent thick reverb on it any longer. I need more control over the basic sound from the ground up. Nice for some stuff but a bit limiting imo

I thought about Platinum but with the way East West is currently treating its customer base right now with the Play fiasco I will not part with hard earned for a company that does that ! .....so I'm auditioning every orch lib except eastwest atm

There's a lot out there now and I've narrowed it down to Kirk Hunter or VSL

Interestingly enough there's still no mention on the VSL site about SE extended but I do like the stability of their products and the mix engine of Ensemble2 / 3 too

It is not cheap but as you say you get what you pay for so I may well have to push the boat out on this

thnx anyways

gsharp,

While I still use Gold Pro XP on occasion I use the NI versions. I will not upgrade to Play until I get a new computer and EW has happier Play customers. If you have the cash VSL SE and the extended library. You won't regret it.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

VSL pioneered many techniques, has a very individual sound and is certainly one of the premier libraries available today. It also charges a very heft premium compared to almost any one of its rivals.

I respect the issues with Play and each person should make their own decision as appropriate to their situation. I wanted to mention, however, that VSL has raised prices over time while almost all their competitors have lowered them. The sample content in EWQL Platinum
    Complete Standard used to sell for many times the current price.

I remember when the "basic" as opposed to "complete" Platinum sold for $3,000 initially. By the time the "XP" expansion was released, the price of the basic Platinum package had dropped to $1495, but an upgrade to XP costed $2995. So if you bought both at their highest prices, that's roughly $6,000 dollars for the content. Now the complete package sells for $895. That's over an 80% reduction in price.

VSL is more expensive than every one of their major competitors, from the aforementioned EWQLSO to SoniVox, to Kirk Hunter, to Garritan, to Miroslav, to Peter Sidleczek. Talented people help craft each of these libraries and it really is a matter of finding which one suits your tastes: VSL may be the right choice and is an excellent library, but too many people pay a premium for the pedigree without really doing enough listening tests or cost comparisons.

I have various orchestral products from four of the vendors mentioned above, including VSL, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. The competition gets more intense each day as more and more samples are released, and for most people, spending more than $4,000 for a complete sample library (which is far less than the price of the "full" VSL) doesn't make a lot of economic sense at the moment when competitors are offering just as many instruments and articulations for a lot less. However, the sound quality being is a matter of personal preference, and some people strongly prefer the VSL dry sound to a library recorded in a hall (which many of the others were).

If you like their sound, and money is no object (or you're investing a small amount in comparison to what you are about get in return), then VSL (or even DVZ Strings) start to make a lot more sense.

Some fair points there

In respect of price it must be a bit galling now for those who did stump up $3/4000 for platinum to see it at that kind of price nowadays.

Trouble is we all want something for a bargain and hate to pay the top whack for any article - human nature

That said I'm beginning to feel that although VSL is, comparitively speaking exhorbitant, it has a longevity in terms of top quality, stability, usability and a respect from the company to its customer base. I also note in looking at developers on here that kind of feeling emenating from Kirk Hunter and Gary Garritan a two way goodwill process that can only imrove products and make things good for both supplier and customer

Something that is glaringly missing from East West atm

I spose ultimately there will never be a library that satisfies every instrumental aspect for us writers so mixing and matching will always be here in some form or other

I'll be making that traumatic visit to the bank tomorrow then

VSL is hardly exorbitant... you get 80gb of samples with SE which is approximately the same price as QLSO Gold.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I too think that for starting out VSL - though it is of excellent quality - offers too little articulations for outrageous amounts of money - compared to other libraries.

I have been starting to get some VSL packages too, but as a basis I use EWQLSO which offers a wealth of articulations and is in my eyes a great bang for the buck! Of course in my case I am fortunate to be able to say that PLAY works well for me and thanks to many enhancements is indeed a big step up from the Kontakt version which i have too. (I still do the percussion with Kontakt because there I can make keymaps myself.)

I think VSL is great for expanding an existing library but to start from scratch it may get frustrating soon because you may find yourself wihing for this and that articulation for which you have to spend more and again more to get all you need.
    Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 18GB, Mac OS Leopard, MOTU Ultralite
    Logic Pro 9.x, Kontakt 4.x, EWQLSO Plat. XP plus, LASS and other libraries
    keyboards/synths old and new, and a well of inspiration :-)

Go Back to forum