• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere - and I am way out of my depth

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere - and I am way out of my depth

I have checked other threads for a solution, but it is clear that I am so stupid and unfamiliar with basic concepts that I am doomed without some help! How do I listen to all the parts within a patch at the same time? I am loading Omnisphere into Cubase Studio 4 as a virtual instrument. I can play any individual part by clicking the > button on the console, but this disappears when I switch to 'Multi'. Any advice for an aging muso forced into software by arthritis (honestly, you couldn't make this up).... Thanks in advance.

Re: Omnisphere - and I am way out of my depth

Use a midi keyboard plugged into your computer, this will play back Omnisphere. For multis (if you want all parts to play back from your keyboard at the same time) make sure all the parts are set to the same midi channel. You set the midi channel for each part in the mixer in Omnisphere (on the left of each channel in the mixer you can set it).

Hope this helps.

Thank you Antiphones, but I don't have a MIDI keyboard. I was hoping just to work with the patches/samples etc provided with Omnisphere. Ah well, I knew it couldn't be that easy :(

You could use a virtual midi keyboard like

http://www.granucon.com/vmk.html
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by imposthume View Post
    I have checked other threads for a solution, but it is clear that I am so stupid and unfamiliar with basic concepts that I am doomed without some help! How do I listen to all the parts within a patch at the same time? I am loading Omnisphere into Cubase Studio 4 as a virtual instrument. I can play any individual part by clicking the > button on the console, but this disappears when I switch to 'Multi'. Any advice for an aging muso forced into software by arthritis (honestly, you couldn't make this up).... Thanks in advance.
    Hi,
    Don't be hard on yourself if you don't understand the basic concepts of a VSTi. No one was born with this knowledge (and experience). You just need to read up on it or ask someone (this and other forums are great for that) .
    I'm using Cubase Studio 4 as well. You can load Omnisphere in a virtual instrument track OR in a midi track. I strongly suggest you load it in a midi track and not in an instrument track. This way you can use some of Omni's features better (multiple outs, using each patch as a seperate midi track, etc.) having 1 instance of Omni instead of several.

Jargon break: Are we clear until now with the jargon of instrument track, midi track, multiple outs etc?

Theoretically you could use a VSTi without a physical keyboard but that is definately not the preferred way. Much much better would be to buy a midi keyboard. Something like one of these:
    http://www.emu.com/products/welcome.asp?category=532&
    I have the Xboard49 and it is great. Very easy to install.

The > button is for auditioning sounds but you could really do without it since Omni has the possiblity of auditioning the sound automatically the moment you choose a patch. That saves you some finger workout on the mouse.
    I didn't notice that the > button disappears when you browse for Multis. Strange. I'll check it also when I get home. But still, Multis are common to have been designed to work together with the pitchwheel on a midi keyboard which changes the sound, sometimes drastically. You definately don't want to miss that.

Hope this helps you out some.
    I'm no expert on VSTIs and I'm not even close but I do take this business seriously and I try to read as much as I can and ask for other's help. Almost all that I've written here is knowledge I've gained from others through the forums and articles.

Have fun.

Thank you both yairhol and Hannes_F. I have downloaded the virtual keyboard from Granucon and will give it a try. I also find that I do have a keyboard - an Arturia Analog Factory. There is no mention of MIDI on the packaging, but who knows what I will find on the inside! Hmmm.. I can't really trade knowledge on this forum, but if anyone needs help with web design, PHP scripting, mySQL etc, I could pay my debts that way!

Hi again,
    no need to trade knowledge. People here will be happy to just give you some their knowledge without expecting anything back.
    That said, I am now learning web design (html, CSS) from a book I bought and I want to learn dreamweaver as well (another book that's on the way from Amazon.com).
    It's good to know who to turn to for help on these subjects.

Hi..I know nothing about Cubase..But it would seem to me that there should be some sort of piano roll type midi editor that will allow you to input notes on the midi grid..Most times theese have a visual of a keyboard so you know were you are in regards to pitch...I use Logic which has what is known as a cap locks keyboard..Clik cap locks key and the qwerty is made to trigger midi notes..I don't know if there is a similar item for Cubase..It comes in handy on my laptop..

It's a rather long journey to understand all this stuff..Take your time an explore..Also enjoy it..It can be frustrating however..That usually just means your just shy of learning something new..LOL...At least that's the white lie I need to tell myself at times... JON

Well I have some progress to report..and also some regress. As suggested, I attached the MIDI keyboard and, after a certain amount of pressing controls at random, applying formal logic and swearing, I got it to play through Omnisphere in Cubase. Now the bad bit... I cannot seem to get Cubase to record. Honestly, I followed the badly written manual line by line but when I press Record, I just get an empty grey box with no wiggly bits in it. Once more I turn to you, oh unseen masters of the great wisdom and stuff...

I'm a Cubase user as well.
    First thing to make sure is that you are highlighting a "midi" track and not an audio track when you are recording. If you are getting sound in Omni that means that the midi signal is going into Cubase. This is really basic but: Did you click the "record enable" button on the midi track? Did you hit the record button on the transport?
    What version of Cubase are you using?

Go Back to forum