• Register
  • Help

Topic: NAMM - The Last Day

Share/Bookmark

NAMM - The Last Day

I am writing this from about 30,000 feet on my return flight to Seattle Airport. This little netbook is ideal on a plane and I can even listen to ARIA sequences as I write. Once I land, it's another 5 or so hours of driving and ferry travel before I get back to Orcas Island.

Although the crowds seemed a little lighter, the last day of NAMM was as busy with meetings as the previous three days.

Before the show I attended the annual MIDI Manufacturer's Association member meeting. During the meeting HD MIDI was discussed and it looks like this is going to really happen in 2009. 7bit MIDI is just not enough in today's music tech world and we need more channels, more controllers, higher resolution, articulation models, better support for non-keyboard instruments, easier event editing etc. There were also discussions about 3D MIDI and Ethernet AVB (Audio Video Bridging). The MMA is such a fantastic group.

Today NAMM was mostly a press day for us. I had a number of meetings scheduled with editors and media people. I usually like to schedule press meetings on the last day because it is usually less crowded and the press people are more relaxed and can usually spend more time.

I also met with some faculty and administration from several colleges and universities. It was good spending time with Vincent from Project SAM (and Martin the previous day). We also met with AKAI and a few other companies to discuss some future projects together (more details in due course).

One of the highlights of the day was meeting Ern. And it was really good seeing Jon, Per, Justin and other forum members at the show too.

The Microsoft Songsmith demo continued to draw people, as well as ARIA running on a netbook, the new Steinway Basic and the new libraries.

This is the time that ARIA has come of its own - working great in SONY Acid Pro, as the front end for AKAI Ewi USB, in Finale 2009 and in Microsoft's new Songsmith. The new Steinway Basic is running great in ARIA. And many were amazed seeing our libraries running on a little netbook with ARIA. Now that we have a tried, tested and true sample engine, our focus is going to be on getting you libraries and content to help you with making music.

I wish to thank those who took the time and effort to visit us. And apologies to those who visited but not get to meet because of meetings. An a big thank you to Dan and Sumit from Microsoft who helped at the booth. Thanks to Jim (Hayden) for his phenomenal demonstrations of the libraries. This is Jim's eighth year of helping out. And also thanks to David and Eric from Plogue, and Jeff, Tom and Amy. A big thank you goes Gary Girouard of the Galileo Music Company for loaning us their Concerto mini grand, and to Yamaha for all the speakers, keyboards and other gear they so graciously provided again, to Presonus, and to Audio Impressions for the much needed cables when our box of cables did not arrive.

All in all, it was a very successful show and it seemed like the most productive NAMM yet. It was so busy that I did not have time to check out the show and see what some of our colleagues are doing. I'll post some pictures of the show soon.

Time to get back, rest a little and then roll up my sleeves and get back to work. We have much to bring you this year and some good things are coming as a result of this show.

My best,

Gary Garritan

Re: NAMM - The Last Day

Thanks for the update, Gary.

But . . . go to sleep! It has been proven statistically that sleep deprivation is the most frequent cause of poor pitch in performances. It's the "ppp" theory, you know.

(Now that I know where you are I can stop switching my browser back and forth from the forum to the Garritan order page looking for the GPO-Aria upgrade.)

Your whole team has done a terrific job, by the way.

Joe

It was great seeing you at the show Gary. I hope the rest of the trip treats you well and you take some time to rest before diving back into work.

This really looks like one of the most exciting years for the Garritan line-up in years. I'm really forward to all that it brings.

After walking the NAMM floor, I have to admit, your booth is what garnered the most excitement for me. Maybe because I have stopped playing guitar and have gotten out of the whole music scene. But the advances being made in Garritan products are exciting because sampling is still breaking new ground in regard to realism and articulation. Its still in its infancy! The news about HD MIDI was extremely interesting!

My 9-year old daughter came to me and said, "I want to learn Banjo." My mind started calculating prices of banjos that will probably be played once or twice, then stepped on. Then she said, "I want to play the Flute." Later, "I really want to play the Oboe." Then just the other day, "I want to play drums." I finally said, "Rebekah, learn to play the keyboard, and you can play any instrument you want." So, I set her at my MIDI keyboard, and said, "Now watch". I had preloaded a Banjo, Garritan Flute, Oboe, and the Jazz Drum set. Her eyes widened, and this year we are giving her piano lessons. Garritan works!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by schneb View Post

My 9-year old daughter came to me and said, "I want to learn Banjo." My mind started calculating prices of banjos that will probably be played once or twice, then stepped on. Then she said, "I want to play the Flute." Later, "I really want to play the Oboe." Then just the other day, "I want to play drums." I finally said, "Rebekah, learn to play the keyboard, and you can play any instrument you want." So, I set her at my MIDI keyboard, and said, "Now watch". I had preloaded a Banjo, Garritan Flute, Oboe, and the Jazz Drum set. Her eyes widened, and this year we are giving her piano lessons. Garritan works!

Great story! A "live" endorsement of the possibilities created by virtual instruments.

Joe

Excellent, Gary! A fabulously successful show it sounds like - and as always, we all really appreciate your thorough coverage of it for us.

wow---and everything's happening at once! NAMM mania, Obama mania - What a fantastic start to the new year!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Excellent, Gary! A fabulously successful show it sounds like - and as always, we all really appreciate your thorough coverage of it for us.

wow---and everything's happening at once! NAMM mania, Obama mania - What a fantastic start to the new year!

Randy B.
    Right Randy. It must be ObamaNAMMania Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Right Randy. It must be ObamaNAMMania Day!
    Gary -

You're supposed to be catching up on sleep!

(Now we know why!)

Joe

Anaheim, Calif., January 18, 2009—NAMM, the trade association of the international music products industry, today announced final registration and exhibitor numbers for the 2009 NAMM Show. At show close, NAMM reported 85,799 registrants, a three percent decrease from last year. Even in economically challenging times, the association reported 1,505 exhibitors at this year’s show.

Go Back to forum