• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan and other leading developers to support Steinberg's new VST Expression

Share/Bookmark

Garritan and other leading developers to support Steinberg's new VST Expression

Garritan, Vienna Symphonic Library and Sonic Reality to support VST Expression

Hamburg/Anaheim, NAMM Show -
    Steinberg has announced that leading sample content and instrument manufacturers have committed to support for its new VST Expression technology. Already integrated into the new Cubase 5, VST Expression is a new system that dramatically simplifies composing with large sample libraries within Cubase, streamlining the way today's massive virtual orchestras and highly detailed instrument libraries are used in the context of creative composition for scores and songs.

Arnd Kaiser, Steinberg's Product Planning Manager for Music Technology, had this to say, "With virtual and hardware instruments becoming more and more expressive it has been time to provide a more flexible and more elegant solution for recording and editing sounds with multiple articulations. This is what VST Expression is all about. But it's not only a great way to record, edit and score orchestral instrument sounds. It's a powerful tool for any sound generator and a new creative platform for more expressive instruments we might see in the future."

VST Expression drastically simplifies handling of articulations and expressions for advanced virtual instruments, large sample libraries and hardware sound generators. The new technology[COLOR=darkgreen ! important][/color] makes recording and editing articulation commands much easier, with all articulation data displayed separately in both track inspector and editor windows. VST Expression is part of the new Cubase 5, the latest version of Steinberg's Advanced Music Production System and is compatible with any VST or MIDI instrument. Steinberg's premium orchestral sample instrument HALion Symphonic Orchestra also supports VST Expression. Garritan, Vienna Symphonic Library and Sonic Reality to support VST Expression

More information:

Re: Garritan and other leading developers to support Steinberg's new VST Expression

Well,

personally I applaud the step forward to add expressions/articulation awareness to sequencers - however it is a shame that it is done in proprietary format (at least this is what I would guess when reading VST ...) is not that great ....

I also do not thing that the implementation chosen by Steinberg is that much better than keyswitches by notes or controllers - it is easier to read for people not used to read code (I think reading keyswitches in a piano roll window is about the same as interpreting code somehow - so for 'code illiterate' persons it might be helpful) but not really a big step forward - maybe in the way that compared to note keyswitches the catching of articulations is working more smoothly.

An interesting implementation would be if I really get a drop down menu on the 'note bar' in piano role/the note in score editor and can assign the articulation (as meta information so to say) - and of course not in piano role editor but in project/arrange/sequence editor and across editors (drum, note, list, etc.). Hope Apple/Emagic and MOTU will come up with a better implementation soon - but maybe this must be Apple than - as it seems to be part of the plugin standard ....

best

Re: Garritan and other leading developers to support Steinberg's new VST Expression

steff3,

my tip for you: Go to the Steinberg website and download the user-manual and read... .

PS. Apple/Emagic and MOTU are far away from Steinberg!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hamburg und Städtchen vor Hamburg nicht nicht so weit auseinander ....

was Instabilität und Kundenverarschung angeht, stimmt das, was allerdings nicht für Cubate spricht

Grüße

So, what should I get from the manual?

Articulation in score editor is there - but we have this in Notation programs for years now.

it is nice that you can edit (as it seems in all MIDI editors via the controller lane and probably via info pane - still, I do not see much advantage fromt he info pane over the use of CC# keyswitches ....
    Also, is it the articulation displayed in in-line editor, drum map etc. (I mean, sure in info pane or controller lane, but ...)

As I said, it is a great step forward, but at the given moment I do not see that much of an advantage for laying out tracks over the way it is now. It would be great to right click a MIDI note event and assign it as 'meta data' - move the mouse over the event to get an overlay which will tell the articulation no matter what the zoom factor is, have an option to visualise it with colours, etc. (maybe some of that is indeed possible, but it is not clear from the manual or the easily accessible info on their website)

I also hope that not only sample library producers but also synthesizer devs will get on the articulation stuff - I really love Ohmforce synths for that ...

thanks

best

Glad I'm a Cubase user
    Looking forward to exploring this feature.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Go Back to forum