• Register
  • Help

Topic: Downloaded libraries and compression

Share/Bookmark

Downloaded libraries and compression

Just saw that GPO 4 and World Instruments will soon be available, and will be able to be downloaded.

That's a lot of stuff to download. So my questions are: (1) Will the samples be effectively compressed to reduce the download times? (2) Will it be possible to compress the samples on disk after installation to reduce space usage for laptops, even it if means that instruments might take longer to load?

Re: Downloaded libraries and compression

At least to question number 2 I THINK that since most of the samplers nowadays read the samples directly from the disk while playing, decompressing on the fly would probably not be effecient enough to play in real time (at least without huge cpu-peak)

How it works is that the player only loads the beginning of the sample from the disk and when you press the key on the keyboard, the player plays the beginning of the sample (for example piano key) from the memory and meanwhile loads the rest of the sample from the disk. If the samples were compressed, the sampler would either have to 1) decompress the sample data of the whole instrument to a temporary location while loading a single instrument, which would take much time or 2) decompress the rest of the sample file on the fly, which (like I wrote above) would be very CPU-intensive. It's possible probably, though, but I would assume plugins are optimized more to performance, not to disk usage.

BUT if there is a way to do this, this would be awesome. I'm also on a laptop and disk space is a constant issue and will probably become even a greater issue with Garritan Strings 2........ =)

Of course, there is another solution--

Upgrade your laptop's hard drive. Not hard to do yourself.

Hard drives keep coming out in increasingly larger capacities, at lower and lower prices. 500GB notebook drives are now available.

Actually the Garritan libraries take up a lot less space than that of other vendors, at least from what I have seen so far. For instance, GPO (the original Kontakt-based one) sure takes MUCH less disk space than the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, the VSL orchestra, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    At least to question number 2 I THINK that since most of the samplers nowadays read the samples directly from the disk while playing, decompressing on the fly would probably not be effecient enough to play in real time (at least without huge cpu-peak)
    I don't know about 'on the fly,' but the Vienna samples are compressed on your hardrive, and decompressed during performance. I don't know whether it happens as they're streamed, or when they're loaded (perhaps into a temp file), but it's certainly possible to do something like this.
    David

Oh, that's good news! Then it's certainly doable.

Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    Upgrade your laptop's hard drive. Not hard to do yourself.
    Yes, I actually just did this and have never been happier. =) I upgraded to a 320 GB 7200rpm drive, but there are only 40 gigs left now. Of course it's not finished yet, but when I think of buying both True Strikes (10+18 gigs=28gig), GOS2 (which HAS to be quite big if it has such solo quality instruments, 4 of them and millions of articulations), etc etc. It won't last forever, that is.

So compression techniques would be welcome, I agree too. But also not if they are at the expense of CPU usage, so it would more or less have to be something more towards temporary decompression than real-time decompression.

Are there already 500 gb 7200rpm drives that can fit a Macbook Pro? Looking eagerly forward to those... it'll solve this problem for few more years.

Go Back to forum