• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Singing Mountains

Share/Bookmark

Singing Mountains

Hi everyone, been a while since I posted a song here so I figured I'd pop in and share. This is a fairly small, quiet piece for an adventure/role playing videogame, about a young girl who awakens in a spirit world as a ghost with no memory of her past and goes on a quest to discover her own life story.

Singing Mountains

Nothing too spectacular, just enough to convey a sense of mystery and adventure, and a feel for the world. I appreciate any comments. Thanks for listening

-Sam

Re: Singing Mountains

That is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Sam

That was a lot of fun to listen to!

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Sam, This is wonderfully rendered and as well "put-together" as anything I have heard in awhile. I especially like the spread and staging of the instruments on this piece. I have a couple of questions for you. What percentage are the widest panned elements? I'm only familiar with Sonar, which uses 0-100% as the scale, and am trying to get a handle on how wide is too wide.
    Also, did you use automation on this where there are swells and diminuendo? One more thing I'm curious about is what voices did you use in this?
    Thanks for posting and sharing this! I enjoyed listening and trying to learn something. Regards, John

Good to hear your music once again, Sam.

The recurring motive provides a good background for
    your melodic content and keeps moving at a fast pace.

Really liked the choral work also.

Send some more, Sam. I have some of your older music
    in my "keeper library." Worth saving.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Sam, This is wonderfully rendered and as well "put-together" as anything I have heard in awhile. I especially like the spread and staging of the instruments on this piece. I have a couple of questions for you. What percentage are the widest panned elements? I'm only familiar with Sonar, which uses 0-100% as the scale, and am trying to get a handle on how wide is too wide.
    Also, did you use automation on this where there are swells and diminuendo? One more thing I'm curious about is what voices did you use in this?
    Thanks for posting and sharing this! I enjoyed listening and trying to learn something. Regards, John
    Thank you bigears, to answer your question, I actually don't worry about panning much in Sonar. Most of the instruments are rendered out at 0% panning as individual tracks, then I edit them all as audio tracks and adjust panning then. I used to do the panning in Sonar, in which case, I would often have multiple instruments panned across a spectrum for extra depth, like with trumpets, I would usually have one panned at about 20%, another at 60%, and another at 100%. I don't mind going wide on the panning, as long as there is something filling out in between.

But, the reason I now do that after mixdown, is now that I use convolution reverbs a lot, which a) eat a lot of pc power so I can't have more than a few tracks going at once, and b) the stereo width of the reverb is not as wide as I would like, it sorta crams everything together, so I just do the panning after the fact now so I can get it exactly how I want it.

Some of the percussion effects though I will usually go ahead and pan in Sonar, often set really wide to add a nice stereo highlight.

-Sam

Hi Sam,

I would like to hear your composition, but... I can't open it...

Yudit

Ditto, Sunbird. Apparently my player doesn't support ogg, and I'll have to download and install another package to handle it.

Any chance of providing an mp3?

Hmm... that's strange, ogg is a widely supported format with better sound quality than mp3, plus it does not need licensing like mp3's so it is better for games. I know winamp will play them natively, but I'll look into getting an mp3 made.

-Sam

Thanks Sam for your reply. I appreciate the info.
    I opened your ogg file with Windows Media Player without any problems. John

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast