• Register
  • Help

Topic: best solo strings for rock/electronic music

Share/Bookmark

best solo strings for rock/electronic music

I'm looking for good sounding solo strings for use in my rock/folk and electronic music. Strings that are smooth, fairly warm, intimate, and not to aggressive. Basically it will be used to get the effect of bands that use live string players, such as The Album Leaf, Sigur Ros, and The Notwist.

Any ideas on what would be best for this?

Re: best solo strings for rock/electronic music

For smooth and warm, you might check out the Miroslav Collection from IK Multimedia. They dropped the price to $199 recently for the deluxe edition.

I recently bought Miroslav during the IK 2 for 1 deal, so I got the full miroslav AND sampletron for $180. Great deal.

I really like the warmth of miroslav. But I'm not thrilled about the solo strings. They are good for some things, but strangely, they seem to move about in the stereo field just a bit. Quite disturbing to hear a soloist "walk around". But again, I find them mostly very usable for my purposes.

So, back to the original question in this thread, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of buying Kirk Hunters Emerald (which include solo strings) while it's on sale this month. I'd love to hear opinions on Kirk's samples as solo strings.

peace

I found something new at NAMM which looks very promising:
    http://lascoringstrings.com

The concept is great, having a solo violin and single seats of two, four and eight players.
    Should be possible to arrange from solo strings to full orchestra.
    I don't know the release date, but I'm looking forward to this.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein View Post
    I found something new at NAMM which looks very promising:
    http://lascoringstrings.com

The concept is great, having a solo violin and single seats of two, four and eight players.
    Should be possible to arrange from solo strings to full orchestra.
    I don't know the release date, but I'm looking forward to this.

Chris Hein
    Thanks for the recommendation Chris! :-)

Andrew here... the creator of LA Scoring Strings (LASS)

Just 1 correction. There are solo (first chair), 1/4, 1/4, 1/2, and full section breakdowns. All recorded with different players -- this is key. The link you provided goes in more detail.

Thanks again for bringing this up Chris,

Cheers,

T (aka Andrew)

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation Chris! :-)

Andrew here... the creator of LA Scoring Strings (LASS)

Just 1 correction. There are solo (first chair), 1/4, 1/4, 1/2, and full section breakdowns. All recorded with different players -- this is key. The link you provided goes in more detail.

Thanks again for bringing this up Chris,

Cheers,

T (aka Andrew)
    Looks like clever concept. I'm looking forward.
    Good luck.

any eta or pricing on the la scoring strings?

I actually stopped by the both at NAMM during a demo, couldn't hear much cause of all the NAMM sound but sounded good from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
    any eta or pricing on the la scoring strings?

I actually stopped by the both at NAMM during a demo, couldn't hear much cause of all the NAMM sound but sounded good from what I heard.
    Hi N8tron,

Sorry about the NAMM sound... that's a constant issue with NAMM.

Insofar as ETA... if it was only up to me, I could have this ready for DVD duplication in a month. However, a lot of this has to do with Native Instruments and what version of Kontakt this will be released on (I believe). So, I think a fair guess would be early second quarter of 2009.

Pricing? That is also somewhat up in the air due to 3rd parties. But I think I can safely that I'll be able to keep it under $1500.

best,

T

Quote Originally Posted by user604 View Post
    I recently bought Miroslav during the IK 2 for 1 deal, so I got the full miroslav AND sampletron for $180. Great deal.

I really like the warmth of miroslav. But I'm not thrilled about the solo strings. They are good for some things, but strangely, they seem to move about in the stereo field just a bit. Quite disturbing to hear a soloist "walk around". But again, I find them mostly very usable for my purposes.

So, back to the original question in this thread, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of buying Kirk Hunters Emerald (which include solo strings) while it's on sale this month. I'd love to hear opinions on Kirk's samples as solo strings.

peace
    I like them. I'm not sure if there's a whole lot else to say. I usually use them to make the higher registers pop out in the violin section. I bought them by themselves for $99, since I didn't have any solo string instruments, and I'd say it was definitely worth the money.

The only thing I have to say is that I really don't like the romantic violins. There's so much vibrato in them that even slow transitions from note to note sound unnatural. Maybe some people can find a use for them, but I just can't make them work.

I really love KH libraries. I have Ruby adn had the original Solo Strings. Real nice stuff, not that I use them a lot. But very convincing and a great deal.

RickyB

Go Back to forum