• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chickendorfer Canons

Share/Bookmark

Chickendorfer Canons

Well, here are movements I & II of Chickendorfer Canons. The remaining two movements will appear in a few days. The sequence of composition was II, IV, III, I .

Chickendorfer Canons I

Chickendorfer Canons II

The sounds are GPO organ.

Approximate times: I - 6 min; II - 4 min; III - 3 min; IV - 5 min.

This, more than anything else I have written, is amenable to almost any registration without loss of character.

Richard

Re: Chickendorfer Canons

Hi Richard, I must say that this is some challenging listening! Canon l is proving tough for me to understand. Is there anything you could tell about the form that might help, as a listening guide? In the second one, I can hear the canon form a lot more clearly. Is this the organ in GPO?
    Thanks! John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Richard, I must say that this is some challenging listening! Canon l is proving tough for me to understand. Is there anything you could tell about the form that might help, as a listening guide? In the second one, I can hear the canon form a lot more clearly. Is this the organ in GPO?
    Thanks! John
    Well, there is also a whopping challenge for the performer! Perhaps I can explain the construction. Perhaps not. It was, I thought, fairly straightforward, but maybe complex also.

The second part is a simple 3 part canon, second voice lowered a fifth (according to memory). Third voice two octaves below the first. A very short fugal section at the end.

The fourth part (not yet on line) combines the three voices as two voices, which is the right hand part, adapted as necessary to fit one hand, and is essentially a one handed canon. The left hand part is a sort of modified ostinato, which becomes the main theme now and then. The pedals sometimes play a simple accompaniment, something like a figured bass. This same description fits part I, which you heard, although there is considerable modification. I could easily be considered as a variation of IV. III (not yet on line) is basically I with a fifth added. I don't remember what I did with the pedal. I often forget how I did something once it is completed.

That is a general description of what I did. In reality, it was a bit more complicated. Probably this work is not nearly as simple as I thought it was, and seems simple to me because I wrote it.

I would suggest not trying to follow the form, but just let the music flow. I usually don't make an attempt at analyzing form until I have heard something quite a few times, or unless the form is quite simple.

GPO organ all the way, using Sonar 4 and Fatar keyboard and a lot of editing.

I am not sure if this will help you, but if I try to add more I will only succeed in confusing myself!

Richard

Richard

I really think you are at your best when composing for the organ.

I agree that the 2nd one is easier to follow in structure than the first, But each have their moments.

Nice work

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Richard

I really think you are at your best when composing for the organ.

I agree that the 2nd one is easier to follow in structure than the first, But each have their moments.

Nice work

Ron
    Well, thanks, Ron. I do like writing for organ. It is the closest that I will come to full orchestra.

My description (above) was not quite accurate, but technical analysis is something well outside my interest. The description is okay considered only in very general terms.

Richard

The first movement was challenging but I enjoyed it.

The second movement is nice.

Phil

Like them both. Well done!

Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Cool Re: Chickendorfer Canons

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, here are movements I & II of Chickendorfer Canons. The remaining two movements will appear in a few days. The sequence of composition was II, IV, III, I .

Chickendorfer Canons I

Chickendorfer Canons II

The sounds are GPO organ.

Approximate times: I - 6 min; II - 4 min; III - 3 min; IV - 5 min.

This, more than anything else I have written, is amenable to almost any registration without loss of character.

Richard
    Hi Richard,

I really like the sounds of the organ that you have chosen for your Chickendorfer II.

Mysterious and Enigmatic!
    The first Chickendorfer ... more aggressive in its character. I like it also, it has a serious kind of playfulness, lol!

Great job!

Go Back to forum