• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - mac screen resolution screwed up. any help please?

Share/Bookmark

OT - mac screen resolution screwed up. any help please?

Hi all, wandering if anyone could help me with a silly problem.

I turned on my system today (its mac based OSX 10.4.11) to find my second monitor is screwing up, or something is. The problem is that although its set at 1440x900 and my mac is outputting at 1440x900, when i click a window to 'fullscreen' (eg. firefox) it goes beyond the screen, both width and height ways. and all text etc is bigger. Its like its sightly zoomed in. I know of the zoom function in OSX, its not that.

Anyone had a similar problem or know how to deal with this? Its making logic look ugly!

Thanks in advance

Ben

Re: OT - mac screen resolution screwed up. any help please?

Hi Ben,
    I have an IMAC and the same thing happened, starting in the past month. It doesn't return-ever. I have a feeling it may be from the latest OS
    update. I can't see both edges of my desktop at the same time. I have to move the mouse toward the edge, bottom or top to see the whole screen.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    Hi all, wandering if anyone could help me with a silly problem.

I turned on my system today (its mac based OSX 10.4.11) to find my second monitor is screwing up, or something is. The problem is that although its set at 1440x900 and my mac is outputting at 1440x900, when i click a window to 'fullscreen' (eg. firefox) it goes beyond the screen, both width and height ways. and all text etc is bigger. Its like its sightly zoomed in. I know of the zoom function in OSX, its not that.

Anyone had a similar problem or know how to deal with this? Its making logic look ugly!

Thanks in advance

Ben
    Have you searched on the Apple forums, or asked your question there? I've asked some questions about some pretty obscure problems and I was always able to find help or at least someone who had heard of the problem before.

I don't mean to contradict Gary in any bad way, but I doubt that it will be stuck like that forever .

Check the Apple forums, or call Apple customer support. I hope both of your problems are resolved!

Best of luck,

Tyler

Question Re: OT - mac screen resolution screwed up. any help please?

I wonder if its confusing the slave monitor for you main have you tried to make the problem monitor the main just to test also does this happen with all apps

Question Re: OT - mac screen resolution screwed up. any help please?

just another thought is you monitor a mac monitor or another make if so something can be happening there . Is it vga connected or dvi if dvi , do you have the adc on your card and converted to dvi

Try resetting the PRAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Gary - im sorry to hear you are in the same position. I havent installed any updates tho (as im halfway through a project) so it cant have been that. If you find a solution do let me know tho. thanks.

Tyler - ive searched the apple forums for several hours and not had any luck. Maybe it was the search words i used, but i didnt get anywhere.

Ranger - as im running the second monitor out of the DVI of my macbook pro (converted to VGA) the mac doesnt have a 'primary monitor' like pcs do. Its happening with all applications tho, and i have checked the cables and converter, and they all seem to be working fine...

Wheat WIlliams - resetting the PRAM seems like an interesting idea. What does it actually do to my mac tho? will i lose settings or files? This may work, but i dont want to jeopadise my work!

Thanks guys

Re: PRAM

Re-read the Apple knowledge base entry more carefully. It explains what resetting PRAM and NVRAM does.

PRAM and NVRAM are system settings in small ROMs on the motherboard of your computer. They have to do with things like the basic settings for startup procedures, monitors, boot order, battery management, connecting to peripherals in PCI slots and the like. In other words, things that the Mac needs to do when you turn it on, before it starts loading Mac OS X. Resetting them will not change any data on your hard drive or any major configuration information. What it will do is change some settings in System Preferences back to their factory defaults.

Also, search on MacFixIt.com and MacOSXHints.com. These are excellent resources for Mac troubleshooting in general.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Go Back to forum