• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2009 not working properly with JABB, setup wizard trouble

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2009 not working properly with JABB, setup wizard trouble

Sorry for the dup, but I posted this in the JABB support/tech forum and didn't see any answers pop up...

I'm having a problem where Finale 2009 apparently isn't properly setting up JABB. Here are my symptoms...

Start up Finale 2009 and start new doc with setup wizard. For Instrument Set choose "Garritan Jazz & Big Band", then "Classic Jazz Drum Kit" from the left list and "03 Classic Jz Drum Kit" from the right list.

Click "Add", then the "Next" button a couple of times, then "Finish" to finish the wizard.

Before the score appears, a dialog box pops up with a Red "X" saying:
    KontaktPlayer2
    File was not found. Please check if Library is installed correctly.

And of course, I get no sound. Now, if I open Midi/Audio->Instrument Setup -> VST Instruments, and open the window for KontaktPlayer 2, no channels are active! However, I can then go through by hand starting with Jass and Big Band KP2, Instruments, and choose Notation->Drums & Percussion->Sticks->Classic Jazz Drum Kit->n-03 Classic Jz Drum Kit... Well, that's not all: a lot of instruments from JABB don't seem to work. Alto Sax 1 KS works fine. Fretless Bass 2 doesn't work.

Re: Finale 2009 not working properly with JABB, setup wizard trouble

Rick -

I'm going out on a limb, here, because I don't have Finale 2009.

From your post in the support section it appears that you copied files from your Finale 2008 installation to somewhere under your 2009 installation. I don't think that should be necessary. It may have confused your '09 configuration file.

If it were me, I'd be looking in the Finale directory to see if there's a readable configuration file that tells the program where elements can be found. If so, I'd see how I could get it to point to the original JABB file locations, and eliminate the duplication.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RickMcGowan View Post
    Sorry for the dup, but I posted this in the JABB support/tech forum and didn't see any answers pop up...

I'm having a problem where Finale 2009 apparently isn't properly setting up JABB. Here are my symptoms...

Start up Finale 2009 and start new doc with setup wizard. For Instrument Set choose "Garritan Jazz & Big Band", then "Classic Jazz Drum Kit" from the left list and "03 Classic Jz Drum Kit" from the right list.

Click "Add", then the "Next" button a couple of times, then "Finish" to finish the wizard.

Before the score appears, a dialog box pops up with a Red "X" saying:
    KontaktPlayer2
    File was not found. Please check if Library is installed correctly.

And of course, I get no sound. Now, if I open Midi/Audio->Instrument Setup -> VST Instruments, and open the window for KontaktPlayer 2, no channels are active! However, I can then go through by hand starting with Jass and Big Band KP2, Instruments, and choose Notation->Drums & Percussion->Sticks->Classic Jazz Drum Kit->n-03 Classic Jz Drum Kit... Well, that's not all: a lot of instruments from JABB don't seem to work. Alto Sax 1 KS works fine. Fretless Bass 2 doesn't work.
    ==

I think I may know what the problem is, at least with the drum kit setup wizard.
    At some point I edited my "GarritanJazzinstrument-K2.txt" file to correct what seems to be an error:

corrected version:
    SampleFile = 10 Notation/08 Drums and Percussion/Sticks/Classic Jazz Drum Kit/n-03 Classic Jz Drum Kit.nki

original version:
    SampleFile = 10 Notation/10 Lite/08 Drums and Percussion/Sticks/Classic Jazz Drum Kit/n-03 Classic Jz Drum Kit.nki

I think this fixed things for me.

Good luck.

Hi Pickles7, Thanks for the tip. Well, it did *something* when I changed the thing which indeed looked like an error. So now it doesn't complain about not being able to find that library. But it doesn't produce any sound, either.

Responding to Jmpaquette's post: I didn't actually copy any libraries or anything. I just installed Finale 2009. I left 2008 intact. I did, however, copy the little "txt" files like GarritanJazzinstrument-K2.txt from 2008. Those allow the instrument sets to be viewed.

Basically, I think this is a bug in Finale or in Kontact2 player. Sure wish I knew what to tweak to fix it...

Thanks.

Help! This is still a problem. Basically... I had Finale 2008 installed, and everything worked perfectly. I create an ensemble in the setup wizard and in the new score all instruments play perfectly in K2, etc. However, I installed Finale 2009 (without uninstalling 2008 or touching it at all). In Finale 2009, I get the symptoms that when I create an ensemble and go to the score, the instruments just aren't set up properly. I have to diddle the K2 setup by hand, adding the instruments, etc. What's gone wrong?

I posted previously in this forum and in general discussion, and got a copule of responses, but haven't any joy yet...
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64752

As far as I know, everything should be set up properly. Do I need to mess with something in the Kontakt Player setup?

The instrument libraries all appear in the setup wizard. I just don't get the instruments actually being properly loaded. Some instruments work fine, others not. Specifically, the 03 Classic Jazz drum set just doesn't work. It worked fine in 2008!

For example, I just created a new score with setup wizard, and used GPO2 Oboe, JABB tenor sax, Gofriller cello, and the 03 Classic Jazz drum kit. And the drum kit just doesn't make any sound! I watched the sample player load the samples... but no sound. Channels, volume, etc are all correct as far as I can tell. I opened the K2 player and messed with knobs, etc. The other instruments all work, but not the drums.

In 2008, now inexplicably, I get again the "File was not found. Please check..." to see if the library isn't installed corrrectly...

Man, the NativeInstruments stuff is just *weird* and tempermental.

Note also: in 2008, I can load (by hand) either the "notation" or regular 03 Classic Jazz drums and they both work.

Hmmm... Well, I discovered that apparently, if I open the K2 player window, since it has loaded the samples, if I touch all of the volume knobs, it starts playing! Even though the volume knobs for cymbals, toms, etc, have numbers and are *not* looking set to zero, apparently, it is being loaded with all of the volumes turned off? Or not being initialized properly? I wish there was a good answer for this one...

I guess that if I can diddle the knobs and get it to work that's OK... But very weird.

Go Back to forum