• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pizzicato .....string players!!

Share/Bookmark

Pizzicato .....string players!!

How much control do you have playing pizzicato? I meant to say, can you really control the volume (velocity) all the way or is it just more or less random volume? Suppose you have 20 bars of pizzicato, going from p to f (and back), how do you guys control it to happen that way?

Raymond

Re: Pizzicato .....string players!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    How much control do you have playing pizzicato? I meant to say, can you really control the volume (velocity) all the way or is it just more or less random volume? Suppose you have 20 bars of pizzicato, going from p to f (and back), how do you guys control it to happen that way?

Raymond
    Do you mean really playing a string instrument? Yes, it's very controllable and definitely not random. You simply pluck lighter to harder and then lighter again.

Raymond,

Give a listen to Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony the third movement I believe. I think the strings are pizz the entire movement and they swell like you're talking about.

Steve Winkler

Thanks. Yes, I listened to T's 4th symphony. Must do it again with the score in front of me to find out the possibilities of what is a reasonable setting of the velocity.

Have a nice weekend,

Raymond

Go Back to forum