• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An Invitation

Share/Bookmark

An Invitation

So, if anyone happens to be in Terre Haute next Wednesday, and you need something to do, I'd like to invite you to my faculty composition recital at Indiana State University. I hesitate to admit this, but this will be the first composition recital I've given since I was a graduate student, something like 25 years ago!

Sadly, no Garritan products will be involved, but you'll get to hear a duet for alto saxophone and cello, a couple of settings of Walt Whitman poems, three arrangements of spirituals, two piano pieces, and a saxophone quartet. There may also be one additional piece, depending on whether or not I can finish it in time!

It'll be in the recital hall in the music building, corner of 7th and Cherry streets, at 7:30. Wish me luck!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: An Invitation

Good Luck Dan. I am confident that it will go fine. I would love to be there but my teaching schedule will not allow the short trip from Cleveland to Terre Haute. So, I send my best and hope you will post at least one of your live pieces for all of us in the forum to enjoy.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Dan! And best of luck on your recital! John

Gee, Dan...
    I wish I could attend...I have been hoping we cross paths sometime.
    What became of the bass trombone-euphonium piece? Did it indeed change title?

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Good luck Dan. I know the recital will be a
    great one. Wish I could attend also.

My parting thought.............WORK ON THE
    PIANO CONCERTO........It's a good work and
    your wife is super at playing it.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Gee, Dan...
    I wish I could attend...I have been hoping we cross paths sometime.
    What became of the bass trombone-euphonium piece? Did it indeed change title?
    Yes! The title is now In Praise of Folly. I think I've still got a few copies left from the first printing. Let me know if you want one. I could be talked into a special price for forum members! And I'm sure our paths will cross eventually; Indiana isn't that big a state.

To RichR: If the recording turns out well, I'm planning to put it on my website in some form or other. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

To Rhap2: Thanks for reminding me of this. I've had so much on my plate lately that I've had to take it off the table for a while. But now that I've gotten a big project finished, maybe I'll have some time to get back to it (at least till the next big project comes up!)

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

[quote=danpowers;604647]So, if anyone happens to be in Terre Haute next Wednesday, and you need something to do, I'd like to invite you to my faculty composition recital at Indiana State University. quote]

Drat! I used to live in Lawrenceville, Illinois - just a few miles away from Terre Haute and I played with the Terre Haute Symphony during that time. I SO wish I could be at yout recital.

Best of luck from Down Under.

UPDATE

Like a lot of people, we got hit with a considerable amount of snow last night. ISU cancelled morning classes, resumed afternoon classes, but now they've decided to close the University tonight. So--no recital tonight!

Luckily, we've been able to reschedule it to Friday. And the weather has improved and is expected to stay good. Hopefully, nothing will go wrong this time...

Anyway, that's the last time I schedule a recital in January.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    UPDATE

Like a lot of people, we got hit with a considerable amount of snow last night. ISU cancelled morning classes, resumed afternoon classes, but now they've decided to close the University tonight. So--no recital tonight!

Luckily, we've been able to reschedule it to Friday. And the weather has improved and is expected to stay good. Hopefully, nothing will go wrong this time...

Anyway, that's the last time I schedule a recital in January.
    With global warming going as it is, it may snow in July and be warm in January.

At least you'll still get to do the recital! Well wishes.

Joe

Go Back to forum