• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tchaikovsky - Serenade for Strings - CMB Sax Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Tchaikovsky - Serenade for Strings - CMB Sax Ensemble

Petere Tchaikovsky composed his "Serenade for Strings" in four movements for full string orchestra. Three of the movements; Waltz (II), Elegie (III) and Finale (IV) lend themselves nicely for arrangement to wind instruments. Here I have adapted these three movements for saxophone ensemble, the Waltz for octet (SSAATTBBs) and the Elegie and Finale for a larger ensemble of (SpnSSAAAATTBBs). Each movement carries its own challanges for arranging and performance. As with other arrangements for saxophone ensemble, I produced them using Finale 2008 and the CMB library.

Waltz

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Tcha...v2SaxOctet.mp3

Elegie

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Tcha...adeMov3Sax.mp3

Finale

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Tcha...adeMov4Sax.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Tchaikovsky - Serenade for Strings - CMB Sax Ensemble

These sound good under your hand with the saxes. I especially liked the Elegie. Thanks for sharing these! John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    These sound good under your hand with the saxes. I especially liked the Elegie. Thanks for sharing these! John
    John,

Thanks for your kind comments. Each movement certainly has its own special quality.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary

Arrangements take a certain style of appoach that I just do not have. A friend of mine arranges for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (and others) and I never did understand his desire needed to do this kind of work. I guess that is why I don't do it.

Tchaikovsky is one of my favorites.

Nicely done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Gary

Arrangements take a certain style of appoach that I just do not have. A friend of mine arranges for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (and others) and I never did understand his desire needed to do this kind of work. I guess that is why I don't do it.

Tchaikovsky is one of my favorites.

Nicely done

Ron
    Ron,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that arranging is certainly not for everyone. I like to provide great works other avenues of proformance that might not otherwise be available. And the Garritan libraries certainly provide an edge to show off the works that I might not otherwise have with only midi sounds.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I enjoyed all three movements. I'm also a big fan of Tchaikovsky.

I can see where it could be tricky to arrange these for sax and still keep intact the intent of the composer.

I'm sure you're making many sax players very happy by arranging all these great pieces for them to perform.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed all three movements. I'm also a big fan of Tchaikovsky.

I can see where it could be tricky to arrange these for sax and still keep intact the intent of the composer.

I'm sure you're making many sax players very happy by arranging all these great pieces for them to perform.

Phil
    Phil,

Thanks for your kind comments. It is a wonderful work to begin with, the Serenade for Strings. It provides rich platform to work from and the large saxophone is an excellent medium to work through. I am hoping to have this performed in the future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum