• Register
  • Help

Topic: Electric Cars Coming Soon?

Share/Bookmark

Electric Cars Coming Soon?

Check out this press release from Shelby SuperCars.

Jerod Shelby from Richland, Washington currently holds the world speed record for a production car. He plans to produce an All‐Electric Scalable Powertrain that can go 150 to 200 miles on a charge. A 220V full charge takes only 10 minutes.

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/press...01-22-2009.pdf

Re: Electric Cars Coming Soon?

A 1200 hp delivery truck?

I used to drive coast to coast in an 18 wheeler (fully loaded at 80,000 lbs) that had 265 Hp. The largest engine I ever had was a 13 speed, 425 Cat. But that was back in the early 90's.

The last I heard, the biggest diesel they were putting in big trucks were 600 hp.

I would have loved 1200 hp. I used to climb a typical 15 mile hill in about an hour with that 265 hp. Of course going down was the fun part. I once buried the needle in Nevada. The cop chased me for 30 miles before he caught up with me. Fun times.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Well, a 10 minute charge would probably put a great load on any power system that was not especially designed for a 10 minute surge of power. Would I be able to charge on my home power, or would I require a special power system installation by the utility company? In my present vehicles, I can get to San Francisco and return with fuel left over. I could get to Carson City with plenty of gas left to run around the area, and refill for the return trip. Looks like the electrics won't manage that. Looks like an unworkable solution until electric charging stations are more plentiful that gas stations! Finally, does the electric car solution solve the pollution problem, or just move it elsewhere, i.e., where the power is generated.

Richard

Well Richard,

Your very own personal nuclear power station might take care of your power surge problems.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ors-los-alamos

And with 500 hp your trips would take less time. You might even be able to approach the speed of light!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, a 10 minute charge would probably put a great load on any power system that was not especially designed for a 10 minute surge of power. Would I be able to charge on my home power, or would I require a special power system installation by the utility company? In my present vehicles, I can get to San Francisco and return with fuel left over. I could get to Carson City with plenty of gas left to run around the area, and refill for the return trip. Looks like the electrics won't manage that. Looks like an unworkable solution until electric charging stations are more plentiful that gas stations! Finally, does the electric car solution solve the pollution problem, or just move it elsewhere, i.e., where the power is generated.

Richard
    10 minute charges that last much longer than conventional chargers are possible with Bedini chargers. HERE

The writers of the Flintstones were visionaries...

Go Back to forum