• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question regarding LASS

Share/Bookmark

Question regarding LASS

Hello Andrew,
    First of all, congrats on your upcoming release. I was just wondering if the violins get slightly over powered by the other sections when they are split like this:

1st violins-8
    2nd violins-8
    violas-12
    cellos-10
    Basses-8

If so, what if you reused some of the sections to have 12 or 16 violins each. Would it sound okay as long as they weren't playing the same note?

Thanks

Re: Question regarding LASS

Violins
    1 player First Chair
    4 players ensemble A
    4 players ensemble B
    8 players ensemble C
    16 players full section mix

Violas
    1 player First Chair
    3 players ensemble A
    3 players ensemble B
    6 players ensemble C
    12 players full section mix

Cellos
    1 player First Chair
    3 players ensemble A
    3 players ensemble B
    4 players ensemble C
    10 players full section mix

Basses
    1 player First Chair
    2 players ensemble A
    2 players ensemble B
    4 players ensemble C
    8 player full section mix

Thanks for your help, but I know what size the LASS sections are, that's why I wondered, because usually the violin section is larger so when they split into 1st and 2nd violins they still can sound strong against the other sections. I'm sure they'll still sound great regardless.

The library doesn't have a separate 2nd violin section (the same way that VSL doesn't). The violin section has 16 players which means that it's big enough compared to the 12 violas, 10 cellos and 8 basses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
    Hello Andrew,
    First of all, congrats on your upcoming release. I was just wondering if the violins get slightly over powered by the other sections when they are split like this:

1st violins-8
    2nd violins-8
    violas-12
    cellos-10
    Basses-8

If so, what if you reused some of the sections to have 12 or 16 violins each. Would it sound okay as long as they weren't playing the same note?

Thanks
    Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the kind words and actually you bring up a very good point. Like Janila said (thanks Janila for posting the sections) there are no 2nd violins... in the same way VSL doesn't have them. But I actually have a solution for that which I think would work very well... especially since we are discussing the 2nd violins. I may have a folder of "2nd" violin patches that are derived from the first violins but programmed in a way without using the same sample mapping as the first violins. So you'll be able to expand upon the size of the violin section and not have to worry about phasing.

Also, you could use the Sordino strings as a double (James Newton Howard likes splitting the desks this way... or so I was told)

The other option is to use the non-vibrato patches (these are entirely different samples from the Espressivo patches) and could work... however, in my estimation, after people hear the Espressivo patches, I doubt they'll be using the non vibrato sustains... except for static long notes LOL. :-)

One thing I'd like to mention. Because of the vast amount of sampling and different sections for this library, there are so many things that can be done. So, my intention is that this be a "Living Library" whereby, as I program more patches for shows I do and as I come up with new ideas, I'll just post the patches for user to download.

I hope I answered your question.

Thanks again for your interest.

Cheers,

T (aka Andrew K)

Hey Andrew,

Once again, lots of good luck with the library.

Regarding the second violin patches derived from alternate mapping of the 1st violins, all I can say is "please do".

As composers, we end up having to do similar things all the time for the libraries that don't support 1st and 2nd sections out of the box. In fact, Garritan and EWQLSO are first two products that spring to mind that actually have two sections, and it seems like it's more frequent not to have them, but I'm sure I'm forgetting several other important libraries that do it as well.

Back to my point: "Please do it so that the user's won't have to do it on our own."

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post

I hope I answered your question.

Cheers,

T (aka Andrew K)
    You did indeed Andrew, thanks for your thorough answer. I wish you best success on the upcoming release of your library. I look forward to listening to your demos.

SISS also has 1st and 2nd violin sections

good luck for this release Thonex

Go Back to forum