• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Sibelius 5 export midi

Share/Bookmark

GPO Sibelius 5 export midi

Is there a way to get sibelius to export music as midi file using gpo - have tried various playback configurations - nothing seems to work.

Thanks

Re: GPO Sibelius 5 export midi

Hi Piano Maestro,

MIDI files only contain note and playback information to be interpreted by a synthesizer. They do not contain actual audio information, which is what the Garritan instruments provide. If you wish to hear GPO in a file exported from Sibelius, use the Create MP3, WAV, or AIFF options.

For more on the difference between audio and midi, visit the Garritan WIKI at http://www.garritan.info and click on MIDI at the bottom of the page.

Best,
    Reegs

With the file open in Sibelius:

File
    Export
    MIDI File...
    Under target device select "A different target device" and choose Garritan Personal Orchestra.
    Make sure you also select MIDI File Type 1.

Serge

Export
    MIDI File...
    Under target device select "A different target device" and choose Garritan Personal Orchestra.
    Make sure you also select MIDI File Type 1.

Serge[/quote]

Hi Serge, sorry but that's been tried and tested and still does not work. I am a bit of a novice with all this configuration computer speak, so it could be that I have computer audio devices mixed up - quite easily to do with sibelius.

Realtek AC97 Audio; XP SP2; Sib 5; GPO; Cubasis VST 4

Hello, Piano Maestro

I see this post is from January - I'm wondering how you're doing at this point?

Reegs gave you a to-the-point response and a good link to more info, but maybe you still didn't straighten things out?

I'm not sure what Serge's response meant exactly - ?

The basic misunderstanding in your question is about the nature of MIDI, and that's what Reegs was addressing.

MIDI is only information, data. There is no sound involved. It's a series of commands which are recorded either through a keyboard or with a mouse. It has information about the notes you want to play, how long they are, how loud they are.

That MIDI data can be played back on any MIDI capable device which can produce sound. Before computers, we used hardware synths. MIDI data would go into the hardware and out would come the playback.

MIDI has been accurately described as being analogous to the old paper piano rolls. Those had holes punched for the notes, and when the mechanism rolled the paper through the player-piano, that would mechanically trigger the keys.

So when you export MIDI from Sibelius, you are only exporting that data - you're not exporting any sounds. That MIDI file can then be played in any application which reads MIDI, and the data will play whatever sound source you tell it to--You want it to play Garritan instruments--So for instance that MIDI file could be brought into a sequencer like Sonar, and inside that application you would set your project up with Garritan, and the MIDI track will then play those instruments back.

People export MIDI from a notation program usually so they can set the same composition up in a program like Sonar in order to produce recordings.

SO - when I saw this post, it made me wonder if all of this is getting more clear to you now?

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Maestro View Post
    Is there a way to get sibelius to export music as midi file using gpo - have tried various playback configurations - nothing seems to work.

Thanks
    Hi Peter

I've recently joined the forum. I have a very similar setup to yours and I've been having the same problem as part of my initial learning curve.

I'm assuming that you want to create a score using GPO in sibelius and then create a MIDI export to import into your sequencer for producing a more polished recording.

Haven't seen a clear answer elsewhere, but I think I understand the process now (maybe it helps to work in IT!), so I thought I'd add a quick note here for future reference - mine as much as anyone else's - even though it might now be a bit late for you.

Sounds like you might have worked it out for yourself judging by your recordings ... but here goes ...

If you create a score in Sibelius using GPO with all the parts marked up appropriately for each instrument with Sibelius' standard music notation, then run the Export -> MIDI File as stated above and choose Garritan GPO as the target device.

Now ... and this is the bit not dicussed above ... you should then be able to import the MIDI file into your sequencer and that should give you a number of MIDI tracks fully marked up with MIDI control data for the individual GPO instruments that you have used.

But to be able to hear these played through GPO in you sequencer, you'll have to configure each track to point to the corresponding instrument, however your sequencer does that. If you don't match the instruments properly, then you may be trying to pass MIDI control data (e.g. a "down bow" instruction) designed for one instrument (e.g. a violin) to another instrument (e.g. a trumpet) with who knows what kind of strange result!

I'm not sure whether you were trying to export the MIDI file from Sibelius in the hope of then being able to play the MIDI file directly in a media player and letting the media player process it through your GPO library - I'm not sure that this is possible or even of much use - a wav or mp3 export would be better in this case.

If you have used instruments form multiple libraries, not just GPO, these may not have come through properly in your sequencer (in my case a single drum track came through as three separate line, for example) ... you can delete these tracks and repeat the export/import process for each of the other libraries you have used.

You'll have to delete the unwanted MIDI tracks in your sequencer each time (and configure the new ones to point ot the approprate library) to leave only the tracks as created for each specific target device.

You might be able to save some of this wasted effort by hiding or muting the tracks (staves) in Sibelius not related to the target device you are currently trying to export to - but I haven't tried that yet.

Hi, Peter

Maybe you noticed that the post you replied to is from January 2009? Hopefully Piano Maestro solved his problems.

But your post made me want to reply:

"...I'm not sure whether you were trying to export the MIDI file from Sibelius in the hope of then being able to play the MIDI file directly in a media player and letting the media player process it through your GPO library - I'm not sure that this is possible or even of much use..."

No, that isn't possible. And your uncertainty if it's possible is due some misunderstanding you're still having about MIDI.

What you described was right about exporting a MIDI file from Sib in order to bring it into a sequencer.

"...If you have used instruments form multiple libraries, not just GPO, these may not have come through properly in your sequencer..."

That's basically right - but here's the main issue to get - That MIDI is a universal code not specific to any synth or sample player. They General MIDI, all-purpose files which can play back any sound producing device which receives and responds properly to MIDI.

A thorough General MIDI file will include patch change data to correspond with the GM spec, since each instrument has been assigned a certain number which never changes no matter what GM module a file is being played through.

That kind of GM patch data doesn't apply to GPO. Just as you said, when you import a Sib-generated MIDI file into your sequencer, you need to set up GPO and assign all appropriate instruments to their corresponding tracks in the MIDI file. That can't happen automatically.

Just now I ran a test in Sib to see what the export MIDI options are. When you make the choice to export it for use in GPO, the difference between that and a GM export is that those patch changes which wouldn't make any sense to GPO aren't included. Otherwise, it's a plain MIDI file with each track retaining the MIDI channel you used in Sib, and the tracks are labeled just as they were in Sib. You still have the entire setting up to do in your sequencer, as per the above.

Minor points that I thought might be helpful to you.

Randy B.

Hi Randy

Thanks for following this up.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Peter
    Maybe you noticed that the post you replied to is from January 2009? Hopefully Piano Maestro solved his problems.
    Yeah - I realised it was a bit of a late response ... but this thread came up 3rd on the lists of results when I googled "sibelius export midi" - which I guess is what many users having this issue would search for.

None of the pages I found on the subject gave a clear answer, and that this question wasn't answered on this forum for over a year didn't make a good advertisement for the forum ... unrepresentative I think - I've had such good help and advice here already myself.

So I thought it best to post my understanding to this thread where others might find an answer rather than start a new thread (or just make a personal note of how to do it and then forget where my note was when I needed it next time) - I doubt I'm saying anything new!

... No, that isn't possible. And your uncertainty if it's possible is due some misunderstanding you're still having about MIDI ...
    I didn't think it was possible because I assumed that the target MIDI device isn't specified within the MIDI file itself - you seem to need export it to a specific device and open it with program where you can point it to a specific device - ideally the same one ... which are points that Peter and I (and others) seem to have missed when starting out.

Embedding the taget device in the MIDI file seems counter-productive to the aim of a midi file being portable being devices (at work, we use XML a lot which servers a similar purpose).

As you say - Sibelius seems to only export the MIDI data relevant to the device you point it to, which should match the device(s) for the staves used in Sibelius, otherwise you can lose (or misplace) all that precious control data - and may be tempted to add it from scratch in a sequencer, say ... and you need to configure the sequencer with tracks to match the exported MIDI file.

That does take a little effort to do, but it gives a reuseable result so it only needs doing once for each instrument grouping ... I can create a template sequencer file laid out for a British Brass Band, say which corresponds to the layout I might use in Sibelius, and then reuse it for subsequent compositions/arrangements, or modify it for similar groupings.

In the same way, I can do this once and then go back to Sibelius to update the score and re-export/import a MIDI file again into my existing sequence file - as many times as I like until I've got maximum value out of using Siblius' notation capability and only want to work in my sequencer from then on for optimising the performance/recording of it.

I wasn't sure if there might be a way some more experienced user knew to make Windows [or any other] Media Player output the MIDI file being played to a specific hardware (or software) device attached to the PC - nice to know that you don't think that this isn't possible, either - though in my experience of computers I wouldn't be surprised if some real IT boffin knows how to reconfigure a PC's inbuilt GM mapping (in the operating system) to point to an instance of GPO currently running in the background under a DAW ...

... any takers on how to do that?

One other unexplained oddity I have noticed however is that Sibliues does not give you the same list of target device options (including GPO etc) as when importing midi files as it does when exporting MIDI files ... strange!

Hello again, Peter

Hmmm, it still seems like there's confusion in your post about the nature of MIDI.

"...this question wasn't answered on this forum for over a year didn't make a good advertisement for the forum..."

But it was answered by Reegs. His succinct reply, the first reply on this thread, has the answer to the OP's original question.

MIDI is a generic, universal data language. It's totally democratic about what sound source it plays through.

A MIDI file you find online couldn't ever possibly play through Windows Media Player which has somehow been programmed to play GPO instead of the built in General MIDI module in a computer, because it would involve intelligently loading all the correct GPO samples, extra instances of Aria as needed - MIDI isn't designed to do all that.

"...One other unexplained oddity I have noticed however is that Sibliues does not give you the same list of target device options (including GPO etc) as when importing midi files as it does when exporting MIDI files ... strange!..."

How is that strange? When you import a MIDI file in Sib, it makes automatic instrumentation choices, and if you have your Sib set up to play GPO sounds, those are the ones it will use. -

GPO is primarily a VSTi to be used in either a sequencer or notation program. The assignment of MIDI channels to instruments, and to audio outputs is completely flexible and totally up to the user, so every project is going to be unique. It's nothing like a General MIDI which strictly numbers a limited number of basic instruments and sounds.

And so forth.

Randy B.

Hi Randy

My apologies ... rereading the thread again now (for the umpteenth time I assure you) I see that Peter's query was in fact answered by you over a year ago when you said:

That MIDI file can then be played in any application which reads MIDI, and the data will play whatever sound source you tell it to--You want it to play Garritan instruments--So for instance that MIDI file could be brought into a sequencer like Sonar, and inside that application you would set your project up with Garritan, and the MIDI track will then play those instruments back.
    Randy B.
    That's the same point I was trying to make clear, though it has taken me a while to realise that you had already said it once ... it just seems to have got lost in the more detailed discussion of the nature of MIDI and both the other Peter and I seem to have missed it - it doesn't really matter if we understand MIDI in detail so long as we can use it practically ... though I'm sure it helps a lot ... and I do understand what you are saying about MIDI, honestly.

I should get back to making some music ... see you in "the bar" afterwards!

Go Back to forum